PDA

View Full Version : How long do you expect a computer to last?

Billy
28-04-2014, 02:45 PM
How long do you expect a desktop to physically last? What about a laptop?

Is 5 years reasonable? Most warranties I've seen are 1 to 3 years tops.

I am not talking about the operating system going obsolete. Rather a physical component failing.

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2014, 02:55 PM
I've had these 2 desktops for about 5 1/2 yrs now. Got the parts and built them in 2008. The only thing I've changed since then are the cases. They've lasted longer than the TV I brought in Sept. Just over 6 mths the power supply board in that was faulty. But was fixed under warranty

Chilling_Silence
28-04-2014, 03:10 PM
~3-5 years
Most corporates replace them after approx 3-4 years.

Webdevguy
28-04-2014, 03:21 PM
~3-5 years
Most corporates replace them after approx 3-4 years.

Yup, 3-5 years sounds about right. Possibly even longer depending on the circumstances

stu161204
28-04-2014, 03:26 PM
My current computer build is about 7 year old and still going strong :) my last laptop lasted about 5 - 6 years I think, before it gave up :(.

inphinity
28-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Under 'average' conditions, about 4 years. Under less than ideal conditions (24/7 operation in a hot environment, for example), half that.

Agent_24
28-04-2014, 04:52 PM
I'd say 5 years is fair, but take some 20+ year old 286 and it will probably still be working fine. I've got a couple that do!

Chilling_Silence
28-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Under less than ideal conditions (24/7 operation in a hot environment, for example), half that.

^^ This, I'll second that notion.

catspyjamas
28-04-2014, 05:19 PM
I bought a HP laptop in April 2007 with vista and it is still going strong to this day, except the optical drive can be a bit hit and miss with burning discs these days. It's done me longer than I expected. The only thing it's needed repair wise in its life was a new network card and battery.

Richard
28-04-2014, 05:22 PM
My desktop is a bit like Lincoln's axe. All parts are different ages. Some parts, like the Firewire card must be well over ten years old.

CliveM
28-04-2014, 05:56 PM
My desktop is a bit like Lincoln's axe. All parts are different ages. Some parts, like the Firewire card must be well over ten years old.

That pretty much describes my desktop as well.

B.M.
28-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Well my computer is original, just like my axe, which has had three new heads and 20 new handles. :D

The HDD has done a few hours though and according to the SMART report is still OK. :eek:

47701 hrs and still TOK. :confused:

pcuser42
28-04-2014, 06:27 PM

Mine too, although I don't think there's a part in there older than three years. :D

EFFIGY
28-04-2014, 06:32 PM
I think it depends on usage. My husband's laptop is 6 years old, it sits on his desk and he reads email, answers one email in a hundred, and views about three websites twice a week. He has used 10% of his hard drive. Oh! ...and he looks at Facebook to see his grandkids.
Its a Compac machine running Vista, and it boots as fast as the day it was built.
I do his maintenance for him - virus scan, updates, clear caches etc etc (annual back up is sufficient lol)

Greg
28-04-2014, 06:52 PM
My desktop, to which I've only added an extra hard drive and additional RAM, running XP, is now 11 years old. Admittedly it's seldom used these days.

plod
28-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Under 'average' conditions, about 4 years. Under less than ideal conditions (24/7 operation in a hot environment, for example), half that.

I have a desktop that is 7 years old, that is on 24/7 unless requiring restarts or we are going away. No longer a primary machine since last year. But still left on and used daily. Currently on its third hard drive. One **** itself but the other was replaced for a bigger one

Nomad
28-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Lenovo Thinkpad, 3yr old bought in 2010, still using. All original parts, replaced the HD and I just bought a replacement hinge for the screen from eBay yesterday. So 7yrs now.

Self assembled PC. From start of 2009. All original parts. Some HDs were replaced on warranty. Seagate's buggy firmware, one replaced to the SATA connector I broke and the 3rd due to bad sectors which was under warranty. The motherboard throws up an error saying one of the fans not working but I just set the BIOS to ignore.

Try as I might, after day (1), I juts don't upgrade. Not even the RAM. With the HD unless it is broken. I am hoping this last another 5yrs so I can skip SATA SSD straight to PCIe SSD :D

In the past, 2001 a 1yr old IBM Thinkpad (before Lenovo) used that until about 2006-07 when the screen didn't work, I used a external screen, it was our print server, the keyboard was worn so I used a external, a HD was replaced in 2009. It was used until 2010 when I bought the another used Lenovo Thinkpad and it was sent to the recyclers 1 or 2yrs sitting under the desk. It was still functional then.

Even earlier on, I have had a P2 and a P1 IBM Thinkpad used but used it for 1 or 2yr then on sold it. A Sempron PC self assembled got 4yrs out of it before I blew the CPU by inserting the CPU incorrectly. Even our 386 was from 1992 - 1998. Only added a larger HD and more RAM from 2MB to 4MB.

We've never had a system it refused to power up.

Nomad
29-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Someone also gave me a ~2004 Dell system (and a HP) few years ago and it worked flawlessly until it sat under the desk too long sold it. The HP the system battery didn't hold charge, tried new battery. Youtube was just not smooth but everyday interneting was perfectly fine.

Everyday computing IMO has matured. Just to dump this 5yr old system I see it as a waste b/c it is perfectly fine for most things. Even digital photography if one isn't batch loading / dealing with multiple layers in Photoshop.

We no longer need to keep upgrading our 16MB RAM system just to play DVD, or run a internet browser. Even the above HP (2GB RAM) ran ok with a trial version of Win8 :D For more every day stuff I use my phone, don't have a tablet. I can show people pix and videos on the big TV, I can use the phone as a remote, I can check multiple webmail without needing to log-on/off and get instant notifications with other apps like IMs apps. If I need it a small 100MB a month I could still be in contact with others outside with people here or overseas. No video / graphics of course. IM text chats.