PDA

View Full Version : Dual booting Windows XP and Windows 7

stu161204
28-04-2014, 01:38 PM
On my desktop computer I am still running Windows XP and I am hoping latter in the week to be able to also install windows 7 on it and I want to Dual boot between them (Win 7 will be on a new Partition).

Has anyone here done this before, if so any one got any tips??

Also how much disk space does Windows 7 need? (I be using the 32bit version of it (Hopefully), as none of my software will support my 64bit cpu or 64bit Windows 7)

And as I will be installing windows 7 on a new Partition, will Windows 7 ask where it wants to be installed? (Donít want to nuke my XP install)

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Just install it on the other partition if you've created it. It'll dual boot no prob. It'll give you a setup screen just like XP. Cant remember how much Win7 uses now I wiped it and I'm using Win8 by itself. Just give it 80 or 100 GB. Altho it depends on what you're going to put on it after its installed

dugimodo
28-04-2014, 02:31 PM
What speedy said.
Windows 7 needs a minimum of about 40-60 GB to install but you want to leave room for software so 120 GB upwards is best in my opinion. I have a 256 GB drive and that's plenty for everything.

Dual booting can become a hassle though, if you plan to abandon windows XP at some point it might be better in the long run to just make the switch now.

pcuser42
28-04-2014, 02:57 PM
if you plan to abandon windows XP at some point it might be better in the long run to just make the switch now.

Especially considering a new flaw was found in it. (http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/27/5659006/internet-explore-zero-day-security-flaw-affects-all-versions)

paulw
28-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Don't listen to the scare mongers. I have a dual boot system. I still use XP for some video work win 7 for everything else..

feersumendjinn
28-04-2014, 11:52 PM
(I be using the 32bit version of it (Hopefully), as none of my software will support my 64bit cpu or 64bit Windows 7)

A lot of 32bit software should work with 64bit W7, unless it has hardware drivers built-in.
As an example, I've got Quake 1 (win95) running in full 3D (a 32bit mod (http://www.moddb.com/mods/vengeance)).

dugimodo
29-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Wasn't scaremongering, didn't say it was bad just that it can be a hassle. It takes up hard drive space, adds a delay to boot up, and can mean installing the same software twice to have it available in both OS's
If you need to keep XP then it's a good option, if you are just using it as a step to replacing XP completely then it's not as good. When I've done it in the past I always end up not using one OS pretty quickly and removing it, which is not quite as easy as just starting over to begin with (although easy enough).

Personally I have regretted dual booting in the past so I just suggested it MIGHT be better to simply install the new OS.