PDA

View Full Version : rundll32.exe

mzee
23-04-2014, 07:16 PM
On my Dell Vostro running W7 Pro I kept on getting a pop up message telling me that "rundll32.exe" had closed.
There were no problems, just annoying.

As an experiment I removed the file "rundll32.exe". This was several months ago, and I have not had any problems since.
I understood that "rundll32.exe" was an essential system file. Could it be that it is a leftover from previous versions of Windows? Just what does it do?

Speedy Gonzales
23-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Does it come up when you boot into windows? if it does delete / disable the entries in startup with ccleaner, to see what the cause is

mzee
23-04-2014, 08:00 PM
I have just found the following statement.

"Don’t be surprised in Windows 7 not to find any tasks using rundll32.exe. It’s an older technology, and you’d have to be running older applications or games to see any active rundll32.exe tasks."

In view of the above statement, I suspect that there used to be a very old program which rundll32.exe tried to open & having failed announced that it was closing. Probably an entry in the Registry or something.

The error used to come up after at least 10 minutes after W7 booted, also after being in standby.