PDA

View Full Version : chkdsk /r concern.

Bryan
22-04-2014, 04:31 PM
I am running chkdsk /r on my 320g HDD. For at least the last hour the job has been stuck on 13% complete and is just churning away.

Is this common? Does it indicate that the HDD might be suspect?

Bryan
22-04-2014, 04:54 PM
OK just completed after about two hours. Guess I was lucky!

linw
23-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Whew!

Agent_24
24-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Check the drives SMART status, you may find some problems there

Bryan
24-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Thanks Agent_42. I have just used wmic from a cmd prompt, it says the HDD is ok.

Rod J
24-04-2014, 05:08 PM
The thing is the SMART status can still say the drive is "OK" but a basic check doesn't really mean that much. A drive can be dying and have bad sectors, etc and it will still pass the basic SMART check. You can get a better idea of the drives condition using Crystal Disk Info: http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

It will show if there are deteriorating problems with the disk which are otherwise hidden. There are other SMART monitoring tools available too (including some very good Linux based ones of course!)

Agent_24
24-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Exactly. SMART doesn't warn the end-user until a certain threshold is reached and SMART is tripped, but if you look at the raw data yourself you can see problems that have not exceeded the threshold yet.

An example is bad sectors, it may take 100 bad sectors for SMART to report an error, but if you already have 80 bad sectors your drive is not 'OK'.

Bryan
24-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks Agent_24. I have run Crystaldisk info on a SATA 300G disk (my C:). It reports as a caution and is running at 41C.

Some of the reports are:- Uncorrected errors 1. Uncorrected sectors 99. UltraDMA CRC error 100. Power on count 192. Power on hours 36081.

I do not know if these figures are acceptable but I guess the HDD is suspect! What would your recommendations be?

Agent_24
24-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks Agent_24. I have run Crystaldisk info on a SATA 300G disk (my C:). It reports as a caution and is running at 41C.
Some of the reports are:- Uncorrected errors 1. Uncorrected sectors 99. UltraDMA CRC error 100. Power on count 192. Power on hours 36081.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes:
"Uncorrected Sectors" - attribute 198 - The total count of uncorrectable errors when reading/writing a sector. A rise in the value of this attribute indicates defects of the disk surface and/or problems in the mechanical subsystem.

It's listed as a critical item and if Crystaldisk is giving a warning to you then I would believe it.

I do not know if these figures are acceptable but I guess the HDD is suspect! What would your recommendations be?

For a hard drive, really no errors are acceptable. Especially ones which relate to disk surface or head\mechanics themselves, as they often point to imminent failure. (Worst case I recall was a Maxtor 160GB IDE drive that died about 2 hours after giving SMART errors)

My recommendation is backup anything on it that you haven't already and replace\RMA it. If you have noticed this problem recently, you may not have much time. If you have been having issues with it for some time, it's probably just going to get slowly worse and worse. In either case the fix is the same - get a new drive.