PDA

View Full Version : Anodising

DeSade
22-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Does anyone know much about this.
I have been estimated (not quoted) at $140 +GST for this stuff, want to know if that is a reasonable price or not.

Everything except the prop shaft and the blue collar.

Poppa John
23-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Does anyone know much about this.
I have been estimated (not quoted) at $140 +GST for this stuff, want to know if that is a reasonable price or not.

Everything except the prop shaft and the blue collar.

Do you know what anodising is & how it is done? PJ

DeSade
24-04-2014, 10:15 AM
The process is electrical I beleive.
It excites the molecules and forces a kind of oxidation, while it is oxidating you can add colour and infuse the metal.

Poppa John
24-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Definition: (Aluminum Adic Oxide Coating) A process of coating aluminum by anodic treatment resulting in a thin film of aluminum oxide of extreme hardness. A wide variety of dye-colored coatings are possible by impregnation in process.

DeSade...This is what is done to aluminium extrusions used to make window & door frames. The variation in electrode material gives the required colour. Basically this is electroplating

Metals can be covered in Copper, Nickel, Chrome, Brass etc. In a bath of acid, an Anode & a Cathode are hung, of whatever material is required for the coating. Very low voltage is applied & a current passes from one to the other. Place an object in between & it will pick up the Anodizing material & become coated.

This is a very basic explanation based on what machinery I worked on many years ago. A brass tap part would be hung on a jig, & it would set off around the chrome plating plant. Going thro washing, copper flashing, nickel plating & finally chrome plating. Thousands of parts would go thro in a shift. The whole business is fairly complicated & time consuming.Hence the cost.

Galvanising is Zinc plating by hot dipping in molten zinc. However this may distort the product you have.

The other thing to look at is Powder Coating. Dont know much about that, try Googling.

I have worked on Installation & Maintenance of Galvanising & Electro Plating plants.

Another thought, in Auckland I did work for a Gun Smitm. Some guns are "Blued" or electro plated that colour. Anybody down there doing that kind of work? PJ

DeSade
24-04-2014, 06:41 PM
So is $140 + GST a fair price for this, I have to pay extra for the polishing.

PPp
24-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Get a few more quotes to compare.

Poppa John
24-04-2014, 07:30 PM

I cannot answer that question.

However the picture appears to show 4 flat pices & some screws. Yes? It seems expensive just to do those few pieces. PJ

Billy T
24-04-2014, 11:11 PM

I reckon. There's a lot more work in that than you might think, so unless you want a crap outcome, pay the price for a professional job and be happy ever after.

You get exactly what you pay for.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

plod
24-04-2014, 11:36 PM
Let's see, not a regular customer, small quantity, I say fair price. Probably more of a hassle for the company then it's worth. We quite often price jobs high when we aren't interested in them, and we still bloody get them.