PDA

View Full Version : MS Word "Authors" not correct.



SP8's
21-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Hi all

I'm a little confused why I am getting the wrong name come up as "author" in MS Word documents. 80% of what I do in Word is OK with my name on it, however, the other 20% have a different name.

Edit ... it seems to be all office programs, Excel and Power Point also affected

Now I know the person concerned and he's jumped the ditch to the promised land. I have downloaded documents from our club Dropbox with this guys name on it, but can't figure out why, or how, his name is getting on new documents with no connection to any downloaded documents with his name on them. Another factor may be that the Secretary of our club was this guys girlfriend and just before she left to join him, her computer crashed and I cleaned it out ... it was riddled with viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, malware ... you name it, she had it.

I'm using NOD32, Malwarebytes, SAS and scan regularly ... apart from tracking cookies, always clean.

It seems to be random but since I noticed it, the number seems to be growing and in a few cases, my name has been replaced so thought I'd ask just in case something screwy is going on ... and does anyone know a way of getting this name removed and / or changed from all documents.

TIA

SP8's

johcar
21-04-2014, 02:52 PM
A "Save as" action would cause this, if the unwanted document owner name was in the source document...

Jen
21-04-2014, 08:52 PM
What version of Word do you have? The newer versions have a document check that searches for hidden personal or meta data and then can remove it. In Office 2007 it is under Prepare > Inspect document.

SP8's
22-04-2014, 12:31 AM
Johcar ... get what you mean, but this happens on new files and not a scource document I'm editing or template, etc.

Jen Office 2010 but not sure which version, however, it's not student and I don't think it's professional ... must be something inbetween.

SP8's
22-04-2014, 12:32 AM
double post

Jen
22-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Here's how to do this in Word 2010: http://office.microsoft.com/en-nz/word-help/remove-hidden-data-and-personal-information-by-inspecting-documents-HA010354329.aspx

So, does every new Word document has this other guy's name on it? I can't see a way to wipe all files clean in Office in one hit.