Hi all,

I recently built the following with the help of people here on PC Forum:

Motherboard - Asus H87M-E
CPU - Intel Core i5 4440 3.1Ghz Socket 1150 Box
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 2x4GB
PSU - FSP Raider 450W
SSD - Samsung 840 EVO Series MZ-7TE120 120GB
Optical Drive - Lite-On iHAS324
Case - Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E (Black)

I assembled the build, installed Windows 7 and everything seemed fine until this:

Scrambled Screen! (http://images.geekzone.co.nz/imagessubs/blog85ab28ea08ef499f7a9af5778bd74841.jpg)

It happens after a random period of time. Windows 7 is up to date and I have updated the motherboard bios and installed drivers for everything (mostly, the ones of the CD provided with the board were the latest).

I reseated my CPU (didn't seem to be a problem), I rechecked all my PSU connections, reseated my RAM and had no difference. After a relatively short period of time i'd see the same thing - lock up and a jittery screen similar to above.

I then played with my sticks of RAM, and not having the RAM in a dual channel configuration seemed to resolve it. However, it didn't, it just significantly increased the time required for the fault to reoccur (for less than an hour to several hours). There also seems to be occassional resets.

So i'm now stuck. I'm not sure if i'm dealing with a hardware or software fault. The whole idea of this build was for it to be stable and reliable! Any ideas on what the root cause may be or how I could look to resolve it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

ronyville
21-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Have you got a second monitor to test? Just in case its the monitor that may be faulting.

boonrider
21-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Hi Ronyville,

I initially set it up with a different monitor and I still saw the same issue. I have used a different cable and monitor so I don't believe that is the issue.

Thanks for your thoughts

ronyville
21-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Boot into safe mode and let it run for a while? If the problem doesnt occur than its a good possibility that its may be one of the drivers (graphics) causing it. Have you checked to see if there are newer drivers available for the motherboard?

Driftwood
21-04-2014, 01:07 PM
You could temporarily install a known to be good graphics card to eliminate a posible onboard graphics problem.

dugimodo
21-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Are you using the onboard graphics? if so you may be onto something with the RAM, try running Memtest and/or using each of the RAM chips individually in each slot for a while to see if you can prove it to one of them or a particular slot.
It initially looks like a graphics hardware or driver issue but as the graphics is built into the CPU and uses the system memory RAM is a possibility and a faulty graphics card isn't likely.

You need to be methodical and try to eliminate things one by one. Take one RAM chip out, test for a while, if the fault still happens swap it for the other one and try again, if not do the same thing to see if it comes back. If that doesn't solve anything try a different slot with each one. If none of that works it is probably not the RAM so move onto something else although a full memtest test is worth doing http://www.memtest86.com/ (or windows 7 might have a mem test option if you boot from the disk?).

The unfortunate side effect of building your own PC is not having parts available to swap around if something goes faulty, I worry about suggesting fixes online because if someone buys new parts based on my suggestions and it's not the problem I have cost them money. If it's all new and under warranty do what you can to prove where the fault is then contact your supplier and see what they can do for you.

boonrider
21-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Hey all,

Thanks for your replies. I'm trying my RAM sticks individually. I have already had issue with one, so i've switched it out and i'll see how I go with this other one.

I did try the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool - it didn't find any issues. I also believe this fault occurred in safe mode, so I assume it's not a driver issue.

I will let you know how I get on.

pctek
21-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Scrambled Screen! (http://images.geekzone.co.nz/imagessubs/blog85ab28ea08ef499f7a9af5778bd74841.jpg)
!

Looks like RAM to me....or GPU.

Ram is easier to test....swap the ram you have out and try some other. GPU means motherboard if you using onboard graphics.

Because you built it, means you need to trouble shoot first, but if RAM doesn't cure it, RMA the motherboard.

wainuitech
21-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Adding to what PCTek advised, on the Odd occasion it can also be a faulty CPU.

While its not common for them to fail, they still do. Had one PC I had sold to a person just under a year ago, exact same symptoms, after going through 3 different motherboards ( RMA'ing) , many makes of RAM, & changed every other component with known good ones - contacted Intel directly, even they agreed -- CPU -- it was replaced by Intel -- problem fixed ;)

pctek
22-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Adding to what PCTek advised, on the Odd occasion it can also be a faulty CPU.

While its not common for them to fail, they still do.
It did occur to me....but the one and only CPU failure I ever saw and weird code stuff all over - not patterns.

maybe........he can RMA the board and CPU together if need be

PPp
22-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Is the memory on the manufactures recommended list and set to the right timings http://support.asus.com/QVL.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=45&m=H87M-E&os=&hashedid=khjfbKhrFHrDQ3NW . Iasked because my last build ran into a similar problem, identically speced RAM did not work and had to be swapped out for something off Gigabytes list.

boonrider
25-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Ok so i've now done the following:

1) Run it with one stick of RAM at a time. One faulted, one didn't (although I don't have time to use my PC much, so I wouldn't call it conclusive)
2) I ran Memtest86+ on each stick individually and together - No errors with multiple passes in each configuration.
3) With both sticks, tried enabled XMP - Faulted
4) With both sticks, tried running RAM at 1333MHz - Faulted

Currently running in safe mode and i'll see how long that lasts (I think it has previously faulted in this config).

Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

boonrider
25-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Hi PPp,

Yup it's on the list and set correctly. Good thought!

Agent_24
25-04-2014, 12:56 PM
It did occur to me....but the one and only CPU failure I ever saw and weird code stuff all over - not patterns.

But with modern CPUs they have the IGP integrated into the CPU so if the CPU is faulty (or there is some connection issue) it would not surprise me if you got typical GPU fault symptoms.

wainuitech
25-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Suggestion - go into the BIOS and reset it to the default settings, see what happens.

Then as PCTek suggested in post #8 try some different RAM if you have access to some.

If it is still playing up after doing all that, its possible theres a fault on the motherboard, so it can be RMA'ed.

You can also check what version the BIOS is, there may be an update for it. Just be careful if you do, as upgrading a MB that crashes with a new BIOS, if it crashes part way through it can cause all sorts of problems.

Had an old PC here last week, similar, would blue screen with memory errors at random times even after trying several types of memory, yet the memory would work fine in other workshop PC's, replaced the Motherboard and it was fine after that.

With Hardware faults sometimes its a process of elimination to find the faulty part. So unless you have spares about you can try, the home user builds could be rather expensive doing it yourself.
The place you got the components from may test them, but I would dare say it will cost a labor charge, then the problem also happens when components are brought from different places.

From your original post:
So i'm now stuck. I'm not sure if i'm dealing with a hardware or software fault. What you can try --Boot from a live CD like Linux, if it crashes still its possible hardware.

boonrider
22-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Hi all,

It appears i've taken 2 months to reply, but this now been solved!

I borrowed a couple of sticks of RAM out of my PC at work overnight and put them in my PC and the problem seemed to go away.

So I contacted Jeff at DTC Systems and explained. I sent the RAM in, he tested it and couldn't find any issues (and neither had I during memory tests). Regardless, he offered a replacement (from Gskills to equivalent spec Kingston). He sent them down, I installed them and I haven't had a problem since.

Thanks for all your help!

dugimodo
22-06-2014, 11:01 PM
It may not have been faulty, sometimes certain combos of RAM & MB just aren't 100% compatible and a different brand or speed sorts it out. This machine had issues with some corsair RAM and I switched to kingston.