PDA

View Full Version : network install for ubuntu

jcr1
20-04-2014, 10:49 AM
I have a small amd server, currently running debian 5 (from memory). I built this machine about 2 1/2 years ago; but now it's surplus to requirements as I have my large Proxmox machine (deb7 with mainly deb7 servers), on which I can build vm's with reckless abandon ...well not quite.
Anyway, my son asked if I could build him a "testing server" using Ubuntu server, and I was up for the challenge:eek:.

The machine does not have an optical drive and I thought I should be able to install using a flash drive - well that hasn't worked:confused:.
I set the bios and used utilies i.e. Unetbootin and Lili, to create the install as bootable.
People say easy, just take the optical drive out of your win pc and use it in the amd, then when install done, put it back again.
But, now I've started, I'd like to see it through without an optical drive, and, the next step is a network install - perhaps. Another learning curve on my life with linux:nerd:

Anyone got thoughts on this?

wainuitech
20-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Not to sure about over a LAN, but had similar problems once booting from a USB drive with the program you mentioned, then tried http://www.pendrivelinux.com/put-ubuntu-10-04-on-flash-drive-using-windows/ and it worked fine. :2cents:

Chilling_Silence
20-04-2014, 11:16 AM
I'll second that. Otherwise look up YUMI, Your Universal Multiboot Installer. Both do the same thing :-)

fred_fish
20-04-2014, 11:26 AM
As long as the image is a "hybrid" cd/usb (AFAIK ubuntu ones have been for a while) you can just dd or cat it directly to the usb device.

jcr1
04-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your responses guys.
It was a while ago that I started the thread, but I finally got onto it today - and success. Not quite what my son asked for, but he's happy nonetheless.
I ended up with Debian Wheezy and installed a LAMP stack onto it. Using a little utility called "Rufus" to prepare the iso for installing with a flash drive, it went well.
I just could not get Ubuntu Server to install.