PDA

View Full Version : Views on Piracy?

12-12-2001, 01:39 PM
Just wondering what views people have on piracy? In its many different forms.

JM

12-12-2001, 02:07 PM
Just let me know what you need JM

12-12-2001, 02:51 PM
Lets put it this way. I have office2k (original) and office2k pirated (cracked) - what does ur instincts tell you??

I have laptop and desktop. I installed two copies (this is ok for 2comp for same user). Laptop I went win98 - win2k so need code again was abused and criticsed b4 I said my part ... then needed myself to tell them the whole history of installation. At my very first call I was also asked to provide all personal info and not told it was voluntary. I said it was soo and they told me a blunt answer 'don't you want to give this info'.

Now I don't bother, I use my pirated CD. The original has gone to the cupboard. In future I may buy winxp/officexp (original) and download a crack or buy in Asia.

At least I'm half guilty!

12-12-2001, 02:55 PM
MS and pcworld has concluded the only info they should need in country. Mind u when i registered firstly I used a payphone. NO CALLER-ID!

I was asked full name, address, phone number, computer type and email address, MS softwares I have.

12-12-2001, 02:58 PM
bout the only thing they felt unsatisfield with is 'how many women have I slept with!'.

Very pissed off.

12-12-2001, 05:57 PM
Yo ho ho and a botle of rum.

12-12-2001, 06:12 PM
There is a very indistinct line between Robbery and Piracy. Robbery is when Microsoft want to charge $800 for an operating system, and piracy is when you don't pay the ransom! While I sympathise with you, I suggest that you don't break the law. If you don't like what microsoft, look to the alternative - avoid MS!

12-12-2001, 11:55 PM
So, MS robs me $800 for win2k I bought last yr so I did pay. Now I have been robbed. I paid my $800 to DSE so I have paid my ransom. I'm not pirating.

Now I have been abused by MS - MS escapes all charges. I get a crack or a fake cd (cracked) and use it at the same time having a genuine copy. Now am I gulty of software engineering (altering)?? What happens to win98 lite, 3rd party bug fixers?? Or how about MS's position of win2k service pack of dis-operating many 3rd party firewalls?? Are MS guilty of software engineering other competitors??

If so MS should of went into hardeware too like stopping people flashing their DVD ROM's. If i changed some stuff on my car, am I liable to Mazda??

13-12-2001, 02:58 AM
JM, you have done some great work helping us catch some people pirating our software. For your efforts we will send you a free microsoft hat.

Bill Gates

13-12-2001, 07:32 PM
I don't know how to build cars.Would you be upset if I stole yours instead of buying one?

13-12-2001, 11:39 PM
How can you lose 23 billion
dollars a year if you never made it in the first place?

What a complete waste of resources.Apart from anything
they won,t even put a dent in the piracy business.

Computer software is information, is this information only for the rich?
What about poorer countries,most of the people in those countries can,t afford
this over priced software ,so they download or purchase a pirate copy , who knows maybe they will become better educated and will in future be
able to buy their software.
Computer hardware is cheap and getting cheaper,computer software is expensive and getting more so,ask yourselves
why that is?

The way software companies stop you copying there software annoys me too , if I buy a game for my kids and want make a backup copy of the very fragile disc, I can,t,is that right?If the game is multi player,I sometimes have to buy 2 copies of the same game ,
Microsoft are really bad at that,what a joke.

The music industry is also now copy protecting there cd,s,so I won,t be able to convert them to mp3s and put
it on my comp ,is that fair?
However,I can easily get around that, I just won,t buy the cd and if I really want the music I will download it from the net,people do have the last say,with their wallets.
Microsoft have seen an opening here though[as they do]they are now approaching the music companies saying, we will provide you with copy protection software that will enable users to put one copy
of the music on there comps ,but it will only work with windows media or wma,Microsoft,s equal to mp3,s.
I guess,if nothing else Microsoft are great business people.

Damn! you guys got me started,I hate when that happens.

14-12-2001, 11:09 AM
The problem for the software developers is that there is absolutely no way whatsoever they can beat piracy given that software is written in code (dead easy to read with something like softice) and they then sell the complete program on a disk which means it can be pirated in its entirety very simply with something like CloneCD.

There is only one way to beat piracy and that is to never sell the complete software. I believe that they will get around piracy by first putting OS/hardware protections in place and then by issuing software which is not complete and requires a connection to the net to validate then use the software every single time. Now of course that would not work for those without a net connection but if you cannot afford a connection its highly likely you cannot afford software considering the cost.

Heres how MS intend to stuff piracy at the OS level.
http://cryptome.org/ms-drm-os.htm (I believe the XBox may be using the beginnings of this sort of technique!)

Then theres the move by the record company thieves to force hardware manufacturers to build copy protections into the hardware directly and as to the incomplete software you would buy - think .net services.

We all know and understand piracy is wrong/illegal but that does not stop any of us that want to partake in it so they will have to force the issue eventually. They have made a crude start with the recent FBI assaults on the obvious warez sites but all that will do is drive the warez industry back to the underground where it existed for years before the net took off.

I do not understand though why software developers do not understand that if people thought they were getting value for money it would be unlikely they would pirate software. I would be totally happy to pay $100 for an OS IF there was decent and helpful support and would not be tempted to pirate the software instead.

14-12-2001, 11:22 AM
And by the way all you MS police I have fully legit copies of your OS's (98,98SE,2000 pro and 2000 server) for all my machines but have made copies so that I can keep the original discs in a safe place as is my right.

The only pirated stuff I have ever had has been warezed copies of games that take weeks to be released in NZ. As soon as the game is released and if I like it I will buy a legit copy. If I do not like it I remove it immediately and destroy the copy. I look on this as trying out a demo and believe morally that it is acceptable even though I know its technically against the law. I never distribute the warez and I do not tell anyone where it comes from and I never have it longer than I need.

19-12-2001, 12:54 AM
I'll just say this, I have thousands of dollars worth of stuff of microsoft's. Not a bean of it was paid for. However, none of this software would have been purchased anyway (as it is totally out of budget), thus microsoft did not make any less money than it would have done anyway. This kind of piracy is not financially harmful to anybody, and it helps me no end. If I had the kind of money to purchase such software I dare say I would have some legal stuff, not an entire system-worth, but certainly some. I would also like to utter my disgust at the incompetent judge who allowed microsoft's case to be open for appeal. What an idiot... I am anti-microsoft, for many reasons. Firstly I don't think it is morally right for someone to be that rich. Secondly I don't think microsoft deserves most of it's wealth, they were incredibly lucky to get the monopoly they have. Now that they have it, everyone buys their stuff out of inevitability. Finally I don't support microsoft because their software is simply not that good, and certainly not worth $1700 - for a copy of the upgrade of office XP. I have a friend who won a copy of Office XP Pro. He promptly sold it, and bought an entire new PC - Athlon XP 1800+, 512 DDR, Geforce 2 GTS 17' Flatscreen etc. Tell me, is that ridiculous???