PDA

View Full Version : Where to get laptop parts from

dugimodo
16-04-2014, 03:23 PM
I just got a 2nd hand laptop cheap from a police auction and it was missing several bits, namely the hard drive, ram, and the cable + caddy for the hard drive. The battery is also a bit quick to discharge. So I was hoping someone could suggest where the best place to get parts for laptops might be.
It's a HP Pavilion DV6-6102AX.

I already purchased some RAM and a hdd for it but I can't install the hard drive yet until I get the missing bits. I've ordered one from a Hong Kong supplier from E-bay for $11 NZ but all I can find locally is the genuine part for over $100. Surely there must be some middle ground, a small piece if shaped metal and a tiny cable is not a value buy at that price.

For now though I've installed Linux MINT on a 16GB USB flash drive and have to say I'm impressed with how well that works and how functional it is.
I'd consider sticking with it except I'm much more familiar with windows and there's a COA on the bottom of the laptop for windows 7

Seems like it's going to cost me $300-$350 all up for this machine once it's fully functional, not bad. Buying a genuine caddy though would make it well over $400.

Speedy Gonzales
16-04-2014, 03:27 PM
I had the same prob with this HP mini a while ago. The home keys on the kb were dead. I had to get my sis in Oz to order it (it was $20-30 something $ on Ebay) compared to some stupid price here.

Still have to buy a battery from somewhere (probably get it off Ebay myself this time). Just have to find the right one. Since not all sellers ship to NZ

wainuitech
16-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Just spoke to the guy I get all the parts from In NZ, ( reasonable price) and he said he just sold his last cabby in stock a few days ago.

He did suggest a place over seas that deals with parts (Some second hand tested) www.pchub.com

http://pchub.com/uph/model/0--6489-1/Pavilion-dv6100-Series-parts.html

the one from Ebay is that a cable & Caddy or just the caddy ?

dugimodo
16-04-2014, 04:32 PM
It's cable & caddy but I don't like ordering from E-bay if i can get things locally, had some hit & miss results so far.
Still with the price difference you can afford to lose a few and still save money.

thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

16-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Ebay is pretty safe, just make sure you use paypal & check the feedback.

Wont be cheap from here
http://store.emprgroup.co.nz/hpc-999999999-0-hp-replacement-parts.aspx

you might get lucky here
http://www.computerrecycling.co.nz/

Also try trademe. Maybe you'll find a deady you can get the parts from.

dugimodo
16-04-2014, 05:13 PM
As a backup plan / useful extra I ordered an optical bay convertor from trademe for $16 + postage. I expect that will turn up sooner and I'll use it to get windows installed and running. I bought a 500GB hybrid drive but I'm still considering a 120G SSD as I don't really expect to store much of anything on this and I can always use the adapter to install both by sacrificing the BLu-ray drive. This is new territory for me, I've never had much to do with Laptops. Up until now it's been desktop all the way.

I'm hopeful the E-bay one will turn up but there has been a spate of chinese suppliers on E-bay with over 98% positive feedback suddenly going bad recently. A colleague bought 4 or 5 phones from 2 different suppliers with 98.5% positive feedback and had el-cheapo usb card readers turn up from both instead, he is not happy. The suppliers have suddenly got a lot of negative feedback from a lot of other customers. I also had a riser cable never show up from another supplier - also with 98.5% positive feedback.

dugimodo
16-04-2014, 05:19 PM
http://store.emprgroup.co.nz/ProductSearch.aspx?searchterm=665311-001 vs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180989093131?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Slight difference

wainuitech
16-04-2014, 06:03 PM
lookie what I just found laying on the floor in a pile of crap parts :)

No Idea if it works or not, but looks OK, its out of a blown DV7 and does snap right back into the sata port on the board firmly --

If you want it PM me tonight b4 10pm with a name and address and I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow - no charge.

Dont have the cradle but you could get away without that, just stick a couple of small pieces of rubber to the drive to stop it from touching any circuits and moving about. Got a few other cradles but they dont look anything like the one pictured - I know the one you want but I know its long gone.

dugimodo
17-04-2014, 10:05 AM
PM sent, that's very cool of you.

pctek
17-04-2014, 12:11 PM
I just got a 2nd hand laptop cheap from a police auction and it was missing several bits, namely the hard drive, ram, and the cable + caddy for the hard drive. .

The only bit you need to be specific is the caddy.

The rest you just buy whatever brand you like.

dugimodo
22-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Cable turned up today, greatly appreciate the effort thanks wainui. Unfortunately it doesn't work, the hdd is not detected. Even tried seting it to 1.5gb/s mode but no joy :(

Oh well, I'll just have to wait until one of the bits I ordered turns up and hope that works better.

berryb
24-04-2014, 02:09 PM
I got several caddy's here. If you can post a picture of the exact part I might have one. I have several dead HP laptops that might have the right part.

dugimodo
24-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Well I've never seen it myself but I'm fairly certain this is it http://www.notebookparts.com/hp-pavilion-dv6-6000-dv6-6b-dv6-6c-drive-caddy-665311-001/

wainuitech
24-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Depending on the exact model number will depend on what Caddy is required, the DV6 range have different ones. That's possibly one reason the power Lead didn't work, it may be the wrong one even though it fits.

heres an example.

I have a Working DV6 3007ax

Heres what the caddy looks like and you'll notice the mounts have small rubber pieces that slide on, no screws in sight,, they slide into a couple of small holes in the case frame ( shown by arrows.)

The DV7 that the power cable came from is different again. :2cents:

Speedy Gonzales
24-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Thats what the caddy looks like on the HP Mini 311 too. The SATA cable is connected to the circuit board across from it. Dont know if you can replace the SATA cable on this tho

dugimodo
24-04-2014, 09:14 PM
I found the part number for the one I linked on the HP website, although it took me a while I am about 80% sure it's the right one.

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Decided to get my parts from Ebay yesterday, they've been posted (a PCI-E wireless adapter and a mobile broadband module). Next week, I may get a battery. The battery in this doesn't last long