PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS SAFE MODE?

12-12-2001, 11:41 AM
I have seen the reference to 'Safe Mode' many times on this forum..... What is it, why should I use it, and how do I activate it?

12-12-2001, 12:16 PM
In Safe Mode, Windows loads with a minimum of additional software, i.e. drivers and startup programs, that might be causing problems for you. You can't change a lot of system settings while you're in it, but at least you have access to the system. It's just one tool in the box for troubleshooting. See 'safe mode' in Windows Help for instructions on how to activate it.

12-12-2001, 12:38 PM
To activate safe mode on my computer I press F8 (when the screen is black) with a flashing cursor just before the operating system loads.

It takes a little while to boot into safe mode and you will be met with a different looking desktop as it is shown in low res. Also you will not be able to run all your software as only a minimal amount of drivers are loaded.

The purpose of safe mode is to help sort out problems that you might not have been able to otherwise do. Some times it is not possible to boot into Windows so safe mode is very useful in this situation.

When you are finished in safe mode just shut down or select 'restart' and it will boot into windows as per normal. Nick.