PDA

View Full Version : Smartphone recommendation

Greg
12-04-2014, 11:11 AM
I've decided to get a new phone and need a hint or two. I'd love a Galaxy S5, but it's simply too large to be comfortable in my pocket.

My existing is a Galaxy Gio, which doesn't cut it anymore. So... I'd like something with the latest Android o/s, 4" screen size or a bit more, but definitly not S5 size. It needs to be able to accept my micro SD card, and I'd like a reasonable camera. Preferable is having a torch facility.

Price is whatever is the best value, and although happy to pay whatever is a reasonable retail rate, no way prepared to pay anything too close to a grand.

Thanks for any suggestions.

plod
12-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Have a look at the S4 . Pretty sure the price would have just dropped. Shame you have ruled out a nexus phone.

gary67
12-04-2014, 11:50 AM
I have the S3 mini as does my wife, smaller than the S4 but still a great phone. Camera is good and takes the Micro SD only downside is not the latest Android. And they can be picked up for about $300 or less

Greg
12-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Hmm. Thanks for replies. I think the S4 may still be a bit too large. S3? Hmm - price is way less expensive than I was thinking of, so that's an incentive. Android version also is eons ahead of what I'm currently using.

As for Nexus - considering how much good press they have here on PF1 I'll reconsider, so long as its within my size constraints.

beetle
12-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Sounding just a bit geeky there Greg :p lol

plod
12-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Hmm. Thanks for replies. I think the S4 may still be a bit too large. S3? Hmm - price is way less expensive than I was thinking of, so that's an incentive. Android version also is eons ahead of what I'm currently using.

As for Nexus - considering how much good press they have here on PF1 I'll reconsider, so long as its within my size constraints.
Nexus = no sd slot
we got our eldest son the nexus4 for Xmas. It is a superior experience over my S4, but does lack certain features if the S4 that was a must for me like 4G.

CliveM
12-04-2014, 12:25 PM
S3 Mini works for me. It has enough bells and whistles to do anything I require and works well as a straight Phone.

Chilling_Silence
12-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Yeah only down side is no SD. You can pick up the 32GB Nexus 5 for pretty cheap at the moment though. I've gone for the 16GB model and just occasionally pull off some large videos and things, it's no big deal, and for ~$569 when they're on special at Warehouse Stationery, it can't be beat!! :D

Still has top of the line specs, I'm still thrilled with the camera, it's a joy to hold and use, Kitkat on it is fantastic, fast, snappy, fluid. Couldn't be happier!

Greg
12-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Chill... what sort of real battery life do you get from your Nexus, please? I forgot to mention that that's one of my priorities.

Chilling_Silence
12-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Around 4 hours of screen-on time? It's not too bad, I'm very happy with that. Used to get around 75 minutes with my HTC One X, that thing was shocking ...

Greg
12-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Thanks. I knew the blurb I read elsewhere exaggerated it.

Chilling_Silence
13-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Its pretty decent. Its no Galaxy Note 3 for sure but its by far the best I've owned out of everything from the Nexus 4 to the HTC One, HTC One X, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S.. I could go on but yeah ;-)

Greg
14-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Decided on a Galaxy S4 Mini - seems to be the best compromise between features and price. Now just got to find one in NZ that's not at full retail.

dugimodo
14-04-2014, 02:14 PM
The S3/S4 mini seem like they are updated versions of the S2 really, all 3 are dual core 4.3" samsung phones whereas the S3 & S4 are much bigger and quad core.
I still haven't seen anything outside of benchmarks that really needs 4 cores though. It does seem like the S4 mini is a good compromise if you don't want a bigger screen but considering they are the same price as the Nexus 5 I could never talk myself into it.

I thought a Galaxy S was pushing being too big when I bought my first smartphone, now I have an S3 and am thinking next time I might go for a note as I find even this screen too small to really browse comfortably on. Mine keep getting bigger and I don't find it an issue in my pocket at all :) each to their own.

Greg
14-04-2014, 07:22 PM
It does seem like the S4 mini is a good compromise if you don't want a bigger screen but considering they are the same price as the Nexus 5 I could never talk myself into it.I'll have to have a look to compare the exterior dimensions.

this screen too small to really browse comfortably on. Mine keep getting bigger and I don't find it an issue in my pocket at all :) each to their own.I almost never use my phone for Internet browsing or email - primary uses apart from the phone function (obviously) for me is some apps, occasional camera use, memo, weather and a few other bits and pieces. So if the Nexus is same or similar size I might re-consider.

The removable sd card feature of the S4 mini might be the deal sealer however.

Hmm.... it's getting to be a bit of a phaff, so I'm grateful for all the comments.

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Nexus has a much better camera too.

I think you mean "don't yet" use it for browsing the web etc ;-)