PDA

View Full Version : Does Windows 8.1 handle large folders any better than 7 ?

Digby
11-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Hi Guys
I tend to have lots of pics in some folders.
Windows XP struggled with large numbers of images in a folder.

Windows 7 is much better.
But I am finding that sometimes it struggles to read all of the large icons in some folders.
If i re-boot it is then OK.

I am wondering if Windows 8.1 is any better in this area ?

Webdevguy
11-04-2014, 02:27 PM
What size are the folders that its struggling with?

Chilling_Silence
11-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Yeah wifey has thousands of images in some of her folders. Doesn't miss a beat in my experience.

FoxyMX
11-04-2014, 03:48 PM
The first time I open a folder with lots of photos it takes a few seconds to display all the thumbnails whatever size icons is selected. Once they are displayed they usually pop up instantly the next time the folder is opened.

My Scanned Photos folder takes much longer though, but the file sizes are more than triple the photo sizes. The PC speed and amount of memory has an effect on how well it does the job, too.

Digby
12-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Oh well, it looks like its time for me to upgrade my PC.

I'm thinking about getting Windows 8 64bit with 8 gig of RAM and a faster mobo and cpu and a faster C drive.

Richard
12-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Once you have set up W8 and done the updates you will never look back. Takes a little while to learn your way around it though. I have an SSD as my C drive, and a 2TB hard drive for data. Mobo is an ASUS P8 B75 with intel i5 processor. All works well.

Speedy Gonzales
12-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Sometimes changing the folder's properties / under customise to general items fixes the slow loading of folders