PDA

View Full Version : Win95 with 10 Gbyte hard drive

12-12-2001, 08:16 AM
I want to use Windows 95 with my new 10 Gbyte hard drive. Will I have to set it up with a series of 2 Gbyte partitions c,d,e,f,g the primary partition being c drive. If so do I make h the cd drive? But, if I use a Windows 98 start up disk would I fool the system and be allowed to make a 10 Gbyte primary partition? Any advice welcome.

12-12-2001, 09:24 AM
If you've got the original version of Win95 what you describe is correct. You can't use a Win98 startup disk as this doesn't over come the problem that Win95 can't see the FAT32 file system.

If you're happy with five partitions do as you intend, otherwise upgrade the OS.

12-12-2001, 09:43 AM
If your machine is oldish like my 2nd one, the Bios won't recognise the big hard drive either.

Go to Seagate's site and download their disk manager program that allows you to overcome the limitations of big disks. I think their program will allow you to have just the one partition, although I'm not sure whether it can go to 10 gigs. Try it anyway.

12-12-2001, 12:32 PM
Only the early versions of Windows 95 (I think it was only Windows 95 A) couldn't use FAT32, so if you have one of the newer versions (B or C) then you could have just one big 10gig partition if you wanted. Providing your BIOS supports your large hard drive or you have drive mapping software.