PDA

View Full Version : First XP updates since support ceased?

Billy T
10-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Hi Team

Early this afternoon I received an XP 'new updates' alert from MS, so I downloaded, installed, and rebooted as instructed.

This is in keeping with the updates I still receive for W2K. I also got an update for Word 2007, which I have not and never have had installed, I do own the disk though.

It seems that XP support possibly remains alive and well, as some members had predicted might occur.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pcuser42
10-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Or XP is so slow that it only just noticed the last update? ;)

fred_fish
11-04-2014, 01:34 AM
They might not be from Microsoft .... :D

icow
11-04-2014, 01:52 AM
It's probably the update that adds the notification that support for xp has ceased.

nmercer
11-04-2014, 02:26 AM
No, Wednesday was the final day for Windows XP security patches. Noting unusual here, this was well notified to be going end of support.

Billy T
11-04-2014, 01:34 PM
It's probably the update that adds the notification that support for xp has ceased.

Nah.......

I'm not that thick. It came in well after the notification that support had ceased and my MSE Icon in the system tray had gone (permanently) from green to red to emphasise the point.

Since my W2K box still gets security updates, and somebody mentioned receiving updates to even older Windows OS versions, it is not unreasonable to presume that MS wants people to think that it is stopping in order to move XP users on to something new (not necessarily better) but they'd be mad to upset the huge XP installed base in China, that could lead to revenge attacks from a few million Chinese hackers. :D

I'll wait and see if any more come in.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pcuser42
11-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Probably not updates for XP itself, it'll still get updates for .NET if you have a recent version installed. (At a guess...)

nmercer
12-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Nah.......

I'm not that thick. It came in well after the notification that support had ceased and my MSE Icon in the system tray had gone (permanently) from green to red to emphasise the point.

Since my W2K box still gets security updates, and somebody mentioned receiving updates to even older Windows OS versions, it is not unreasonable to presume that MS wants people to think that it is stopping in order to move XP users on to something new (not necessarily better) but they'd be mad to upset the huge XP installed base in China, that could lead to revenge attacks from a few million Chinese hackers. :D

I'll wait and see if any more come in.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Curious why you still have Windows 2000?

Windows 2000 security updates stopped on July 13, 2010

The installed base of XP in China don't install updates anyway, just like they don't pay for their pirated software

paulw
12-04-2014, 01:09 PM
The only doped support for Win XP has been Java 8 which is Visa and later now..

apsattv
12-04-2014, 11:34 PM
I also got updates yesterday on 2 XP pc's that are set on Automatic windows updates and are used daily.

KB890830 -- msrt april
KB2934207 -- windows xp end of support notification
KB2936068-IE8
KB2922229-security update

hmm?

wainuitech
13-04-2014, 12:13 AM
I also got updates yesterday on 2 XP pc's that are set on Automatic windows updates and are used daily.

KB890830 -- msrt april
KB2934207 -- windows xp end of support notification
KB2936068-IE8
KB2922229-security update

hmm? If you do a google search for the last two, their release date was 7th April, which was Monday, The notification was on the Wednesday, the first one was Tuesday--- thats why they came through ;)

A person has to look at the release dates from MS, not when they got them.