PDA

View Full Version : allocation unit size

12-12-2001, 12:54 AM
I have a 7gb primary partition.It is not the system partition.I wanna format it with NTFS.I wanna know what is the allocation unit size which gives the optimum performance.
Thank u

13-12-2001, 11:52 AM
Dave
Allocation sizes depend on the nature of the primary use.

The unit sizes tie in to the chunks of data it stores and retrieves. A 16k unit size with a 19Kb file would mean you would need two units loaded, and couldn't store any data in the remaining 13k.

The bigger your unit size, the more is wasted on average in the last unit for a file, but you get better performance.

I can't remember what size options you have, but I will make some assumptions in some examples:

-Say just Word and Excel documents, mp3 files, jpgs. None would be smaller than 20Kb, so a block size of less would be pointless. However, if most files were over 100kb, then you would want to increase the unit size to slightly more than that (say 128Kb).

If you main actibvity was a database with >100Mb files, then you would want larger to increase speed, and there would be less waste. However, I wouldn't go for 100Mb unit sizes.

Does this help?

Robo

13-12-2001, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the reply mate.The options i have is 512b,1kb,2kb and 4kb.I will use the partion for files like movies and games.what is the best one for me?any ideas.

Thanks again.