PDA

View Full Version : From the (new) Police Commissioner April 3, 2014

WalOne
03-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Kia ora

3rd April 2014

By

Police Commissioner Mike Bush

It's fitting that I start my term as Commissioner by acknowledging Peter Marshall and the huge contribution he made during his 42 years in Police.

His leadership over the past three years has set the bar high, and that makes the challenge for me more exciting.

I'm proud but also humbled to be leading New Zealand Police. The dedication and professionalism of our staff is reflected in our results, particularly in the crucial areas of crime prevention and reduction, public trust and confidence, and road safety.

One of my last official duties as Deputy Commissioner was to release the crime statistics for 2013. These showed a 4.1 per cent reduction in crime compared to 2012. That equates to 15,602 fewer crimes, with notable reductions in dangerous or negligent acts, illicit drug offences and public disorder.

At the same time, we have maintained impressively high levels of public support. Then there's our tremendous success in reducing the road toll. Last year saw the lowest number of deaths on our roads since records began. That means fewer lives needlessly lost and fewer families grieving.

Results like that don't come without hard work and commitment.

Many people will be wondering what a change of Commissioner means in terms of how we police. One thing's for sure - reducing the number of victims by preventing crime and road deaths and injuries will remain at the core of what we do.

In that respect, you shouldn't view those crime statistics I mentioned earlier in isolation. They're not just numbers on a spread sheet - there's a distinctly human element. Fewer crimes means fewer victims, and that's what we're all about.

Our results will only improve as we continue to roll out the tools and technology to become more visible and more mobile. Already, those measures are bringing huge improvements in the way we respond to incidents, allowing staff to spend more time on the streets preventing crime and improving the experience of members of the public who come into contact with us through no fault of their own as victims or witnesses.

I, too, will be a very visible Commissioner. It is my intention in the next three months to get around New Zealand, so don't be surprised if you see me out and about in your area.

In the meantime, you can get to know me a bit better via the video above.

Let's welcome Mike Bush and trust he will fill the very big boots left by Peter Marshall.

:)

paulw
04-04-2014, 09:22 AM
I quite sure his revenue gathering will be unsurpassed..

B.M.
04-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Personally I have no time for a Police Officer who praises another who has been found to have PLANTED evidence in order to secure a conviction.

Something that cost us taxpayers $Millions but has been subject to a Police cover-up until this day.

Sorry Mr Bush but your credibility is in keeping with Bruce Hutton's, zero minus. :mad:

Richard
04-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Can't you give the man some credit for all the GOOD work he has done. Don't always come across as so bloody self-righteous.

R2x1
04-04-2014, 12:03 PM
WalOne: ". . . Let's welcome Mike Bush and trust he will fill the very big boots left by Peter Marshall."
This boot filling urge seems odd for someone who rates loyalty to departed workmates far above any concern for ethics or job expectations.
Perhaps he should fill his own boots before trying to fill his predecessor's?

"This one has two meanings I know of. 1) If the person who said it is from Newfoundland, Canada, then it means to take your fill of something, like "help yourself to as much as you want". 2) If you are making reference to someone filling their boots, it refers to what would happen if you pooped your pants severely (from a fright), it would flow down and fill your boots.

: : : Wetting your pants and "filling your boots" after a fright came to my mind also. When reminds me of a phrase used to refer to someone who isn't very smart: "Couldn't pour p*ss out of a boot with the directions on the bottom."

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board... "

;)

B.M.
04-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Can't you give the man some credit for all the GOOD work he has done. Don't always come across as so bloody self-righteous.

Which man, what GOOD work?

Are you referring to the money collected in their function as the “Uniformed Branch of the IRD”? :groan: