PDA

View Full Version : How much to sell my PC on trade fopr Opinions please.

dugimodo
31-03-2014, 03:33 PM
I have a 2nd PC that hardly ever gets used I think I should sell before it loses too much Value.
I'm thinking it should be worth around $700ish but I wanted some opinions as to whether I'm aiming too high or too low etc.
Any feedback appreciated.

specs;
Bitfenix Prodigy itx case
Asrock B75 itx MB
8GB Kingston DDR3 dual channel RAM
i3 3220 with stock cooler
Coolermaster 450W PSU
WD Blue 500GB hdd
EVGA 650Ti boost - note the boost is significantly better than the standard Ti but not quite up to 660 level
Windows 8 OEM

So it's a good mid level gamer and all round PC, has no issues that I'm aware of. The hardware is of various ages from ~6-12 months. I could put a higher end Graphics card in (have a few left from scrypt mining) but I feel this is a good balance of hardware as is. Have run a 7970 in it at one point with no issues. I should be able to track down at least some receipts but I think some of it might be tricky to remember where I got it from (made from parts surplus from other builds largely)

Webdevguy
31-03-2014, 06:10 PM
$700 sounds good. Put it on and see if you get any takers.

icow
31-03-2014, 06:17 PM
That's probably a little over $1000 new (assuming you can still get the Ivy Bridge stuff) so 70% seems very reasonable.

Mirddes
31-03-2014, 09:40 PM
if you included a mouse, keyboard, monitor and speakers you could get a grand for it easily.

$999 with monitor mouse and keyboard
$666 without.

im planning a celeron itx build (will upgrade it to i7 in the future) and im looking at $650ish. same case even.

all that said, you might be able to get $800 for it as is. not being skt1150 might not matter.

you did mention lots of spare parts so see if you have a lcd and inputs lying around and polish that turd, i mean decent pc, to the Nth degree.

dugimodo
01-04-2014, 05:43 AM
Yeah adding a screen probably does make it more attractive but I don't have any I want to part with. I could include a keyboard and mouse though.

pctek
01-04-2014, 06:49 AM
I'm thinking it should be worth around $700ish
Bitfenix Prodigy itx case
Asrock B75 itx MB
8GB Kingston DDR3 dual channel RAM
i3 3220 with stock cooler
Coolermaster 450W PSU
WD Blue 500GB hdd
EVGA 650Ti
Windows 8 OEM

You can try but PCs are not as popular anymore, gaming PCs are less in demand.....It's a low end gaming PC too.
Search Trademe EXPIRED listings for similar items, that tells you want others actually got - not the I want price....far more accurate in what you might make.

You could try GPForums Buy/Sell section too...more likely there.

Nomad
01-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Was thinking like Pctek. I initially thought $400. Upon reading the view of others $1,000 new upto a year's old. Maybe $550? Unrelated by I had a Nikon lens $1,200 NZ RRP mint condition sold it for $425 just b/c there were so many on TM it was a buyers market.

Webdevguy
01-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Was thinking like Pctek. I initially thought $400. Upon reading the view of others $1,000 new upto a year's old. Maybe $550? Unrelated by I had a Nikon lens $1,200 NZ RRP mint condition sold it for $425 just b/c there were so many on TM it was a buyers market.

Id say put it on at $600, and if you don't get any hits, drop the price until you do.

SolMiester
04-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Id sell the dGPU and run the unit headless (although you could just use mobo video output) with the drive cages filled up for an awesome NAS\File Server\HOST\Media Server\trans-coder or something along those lines. If I remember rightly, the case has 2 cages?..an IV i3 would excel at all the above an isn't bad on wattage.

dugimodo
04-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Yeah the case can fit 6 or so 3.5" drives and another 2 2.5" so despite being itx it would work quite well. I have no real need for a NAS though, I already have a Netgear stora 2 bay NAS and all that ever ended up on it is my music collection.
I do have a large Media collection but because I like to take it with me to LANs and also be able to game (without lugging multiple Machines around) I put all my hard drives into my gaming rig in the signature below.

In the same type of case as this one I have my signature rig with an SSD, a data drive, and 4 storage drives totalling over 10TB (and capable of 20 if I use all 4TB drives apart from the OS one) and a Gaming class graphics card. It's amazing what you can fit into this case with a bit of effort.

Anyway I think I'll list the PC this weekend at $650 starting, $700 buy now and see if I get any bites.
thanks for the feedback guys

SolMiester
05-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Yeah the case can fit 6 or so 3.5" drives and another 2 2.5" so despite being itx it would work quite well. I have no real need for a NAS though, I already have a Netgear stora 2 bay NAS and all that ever ended up on it is my music collection.
I do have a large Media collection but because I like to take it with me to LANs and also be able to game (without lugging multiple Machines around) I put all my hard drives into my gaming rig in the signature below.

In the same type of case as this one I have my signature rig with an SSD, a data drive, and 4 storage drives totalling over 10TB (and capable of 20 if I use all 4TB drives apart from the OS one) and a Gaming class graphics card. It's amazing what you can fit into this case with a bit of effort.

Anyway I think I'll list the PC this weekend at $650 starting, $700 buy now and see if I get any bites.
thanks for the feedback guys

Storing data in your game machine is a terrible idea, too much heat, your drive won't last half as long. You say you don't need NAS, but with all that storage, you do....you can still watch your media from anywhere with plex

dugimodo
05-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Heats not an issue, the drives get no hotter than they would anywhere else. The case has good airflow and I chose a blower style graphics card specifically to not heat the case needlessly. When I'm gaming the WD green drives tend to put themselves to sleep and they are sitting in front of the 200mm intake fan. When I'm watching media the PC isn't gaming. So while there are good arguments for a NAS for some applications I don't think my setup is a "terrible Idea" for me. All my drives are old, the newest is a 4TB and that's about 12 months old. Haven't failed yet.

I did have all my storage in a 4 bay external USB 3 enclosure but it proved to be inconvenient and unreliable. Also it seems like every time I try a network storage solution it works really great most of the time but screws up right when I'm trying to show someone or watch a movie and I spend 10 mins troubleshooting the network - I feel cursed when it comes to networking. I tried plex, it's ok but not something I want to muck around with. There is nothing more convenient than the files you want being on the PC you are using. And anywhere does not include a LAN party in another town does it :p

SolMiester
05-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Actually, I can stream from my Plex server anywhere in the world on as little as the bandwidth provides just my changing the settings where ever I am. That the whole point of the project.
I just dont think storage should be moved about, its should be set and forget. But whatever, I have never bothered selling PC, they never get back what value you think they are. That box could be many things as a HOST and all that storage.

dugimodo
05-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Oh I get it, but I have 5 PCs at the moment so I can probably spare this one. We have no internet at my LAN club and I like to have my collection with me for other reasons. Ideally I should have it on a NAS and on the PC as a backup but that much storage is too expensive and there's nothing I can't replace if I have to.