PDA

View Full Version : TiVo external eSATA HDD upgrade

Chilling_Silence
30-03-2014, 06:38 PM
So my in-laws have filled their NZ Series-3 TiVo 320GB HDD.

We got a USB HDD for them, 1TB, but USB doesn't work.

Replaced that with an eSATA dock and a SATA 1TB WD Blue HDD and now it detects it but bitches that its not an official one.

Tried Kickstarter Code 62, same deal, not happy, and apparently that's been redundant since Software version 9.2 or something, they're currently on Software version 11.

So after having checked that out, does anybody know if I can get this eSATA drive to work, without having to rip apart their TiVo and use MFSTools to clone the HDD and stuff?

Keen to hear if anybody locally has done it.

Cheers

Chill.

paulw
31-03-2014, 09:06 AM
From what I can remember you need to buy a "special" TiVo prepped one. We come across this all the time at work with voicemail drives that need replacing . You have to use the "genuine" version ($$$$$)

Chilling_Silence
31-03-2014, 09:48 AM
$400 for a 1TB is just stupid though... And nowhere stocks it in NZ either :p

dugimodo
31-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Looks like you may have to clone it then although if you do that personally I'd just install the bigger one internally and keep the old as a backup.
Never tried it, after 3 years of constant use my TiVo hdd is still nowhere near full. What are they keeping all that old stuff for anyway, watch it and delete :p

Chilling_Silence
31-03-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm not, they are. My brother-in-law likes to keep a few series of shows to re-watch, apparently...

plod
31-03-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm not, they are. My brother-in-law likes to keep a few series of shows to re-watch, apparently...Tell him to get a job, then there will be no time to watch reruns

Chilling_Silence
31-03-2014, 03:49 PM
He's still in school :P

paulw
31-03-2014, 07:37 PM
He's still in school :P

Then he should be studying then he would have no time to watch these shows..