PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Content Manager?

DakotaNZ
25-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Hi guys,

I am really wanting to get in to Web Design and I have been told by a Web Developer the best place to start is as a Web Content Manager. He told me that as a CM I would do all the lackey work the actual designers and developers don't have the time for like updating sites, a lot of copying and pasting and general website maintenance. I have been looking for a while now for such a position as this would be an awesome way for me to learn more about the business, however I am having no luck, I find plenty on Content Management Systems, am I referring to this position by the wrong name? I really just want to get a foot in the door so I can learn more and hopefully one day become a designer myself. Thank you for your help :)

Webdevguy
25-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Hi guys,

I am really wanting to get in to Web Design and I have been told by a Web Developer the best place to start is as a Web Content Manager. He told me that as a CM I would do all the lackey work the actual designers and developers don't have the time for like updating sites, a lot of copying and pasting and general website maintenance. I have been looking for a while now for such a position as this would be an awesome way for me to learn more about the business, however I am having no luck, I find plenty on Content Management Systems, am I referring to this position by the wrong name? I really just want to get a foot in the door so I can learn more and hopefully one day become a designer myself. Thank you for your help :)

Hey Dakota, which part of web design appeals to you the most?
Is it the actual web/graphic design and user experience part or is it more the coding and server side part?

If it is the design side then I would suggest going for a web design course where there is more emphasis placed on design. They also use Wordpress to speed up the building of CMS sites

Web developer courses tend to get more in to the coding aspects of JavaScript for front end and PHP/MYSQL for the server side development rather than relying on ready made CMS like Wordpress.

As to CMS systems, the most widely available one would be Wordpress.

Are you self taught or are you looking at doing a Web Design course somewhere?

With regards to becoming a content manager.. if you are really good at PHP you should just be able to automate the uploading process and just make sure that any images provided for the site meet specific requirements so that you don't actually have to do anything :thing: That part is also known as CRUD for Create, Read, Update, Delete.

Webdevguy
25-03-2014, 01:41 PM
As to how to get a job as a web designer or developer...

You just need to be very good as a designer or writing good clean code.. or both :thumbs: