PDA

View Full Version : XP error messages

11-12-2001, 11:14 PM
Everyone told me to expect problems with XP, but is anyone else getting the following message - 'This system has recovered from a serious error' - every time they start their computer? The first couple of times I sent the error message off to Microsoft, but after one came back with comments to the effect that they don't know what's causing the problem either, I gave up. I'll bet I'm not the only one, but (as a newbie) how long is this likely to occur? (And please don't say forever!)

12-12-2001, 12:49 AM
...i am unable to help with your problem, Faye, but - if it's any consolation - you are not alone.

How's this for an error message in XP [a *serious* question posted on another Forum, today's date] ???

'WinErr 009: Horrible bug encountered'

Should you be interested, here's a list of other strange error messages in Windows:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article09-118

e_

12-12-2001, 11:29 AM
Thanks e_, just knowing I am not alone is some consolation! Today the errror message sprang up when I opened Outlook Express instead of on startup - and it closed it down two or three times before letting me in! Occasionally it even restarts when I shut down - but after six years of trouble-free Mac use, I suppose I'm due for some computer trouble!

13-12-2001, 02:23 PM
...do you have 'Speech Recognition' enabled or turned on - but not configured?

Just found this URL at Lockergnome.com which provides one possible solution to a number of XP quirks - including the annoyance you have detailed.

Best wishes!!!

e_

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q313176

14-12-2001, 05:59 PM
Thanks e_, the messages are still coming but I just ignore them now! As for 'Speech Recognition' etc., you're talking to a real newbie here - explain please! Looked at Lockergnome but wasn't sure what to do there... call me dumb, but at least I admit to not knowing much!

15-12-2001, 01:54 PM
...okay - if you copy & paste the following URL (web address) into your Browser's Address Bar (top of your screen) and click 'go' or Press 'Enter' you will open a Microsoft Windows XP Support Site.

It offers a solution to a number of quirky Error Messages in XP.

Best wishes!!!

e_

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q313176

18-12-2001, 12:54 AM
To get rid of those annoying messages do the following.
1 - open control panel
2 - open perfomance and maintenance
3 - open control panel icon 'system'
4 - go to the advanced tab
5 - on the bottom right of this tab there is the button to access the error reporting window.
6 - there should be the option to diable error reporting.

after error reporting has been disabled your computer should no longer come up with any messages at startup.

hope this helps

18-12-2001, 10:40 PM
Dion, you're my hero ;-)
You see, it's not what you know, it's who tells you how to find it! Thanks oodles, for a newbie the error messages were at first worrying, then damned annoying! Have a great Christmas and New Year.