PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clone a Win8 Boot partition to a second partition

Geek4414
23-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Any recommendation on how to clone the factory installed Win8 Partition to another partition on the same drive? Reason for doing this is to keep two identical bootable systems; boot into one with network installed application; and boot into the other for a locally installed version of the same application, to keep them from conflicting.

I know how to shrink the partition using diskmgmt.msc and how to clone the partition, questions are ...

1. Can the boot loader handle 2 partitions of the same system (same Windows 8 install cloned)
Can I simply shrink the main partition, clone it, then dump the clone on the new partition?
How to configure the bootloader to boot from these two partitions?

2. MS Licence OK? It is the same Win8 licence on same PC and only one partition is running at any one time.

wainuitech
23-03-2014, 11:00 AM
You can try http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html - Backupper, its free, and can be booted from a CD you make from within the software, you can change partition sizes easy enough with the software, you can also work on individual partitions or the whole drive. ( see the screen shots on that page)

Never tried what you are asking, so some advice, make a image of the whole drive first as a backup to an external drive, just in case it turns to custard. If you have a spare drive then drop that image back onto it and make sure its worked, some name brand computers do "weird" things when cloning.

Dual Booting - you may have to use something like boot manager software to dual boot, if it were a fresh install on a different partition then it would more than likely create it automatically.

Licencing -- Its the same hardware so not a problem, as it wouldn't matter which you boot from the OS will detect the same components.

What is brand of PC ?

Geek4414
23-03-2014, 11:08 AM
You can try http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html - Backupper, its free, and can be booted from a CD you make from within the software, you can change partition sizes easy enough with the software, you can also work on individual partitions or the whole drive. ( see the screen shots on that page)

Never tried what you are asking, so some advice, make a image of the whole drive first as a backup to an external drive, just in case it turns to custard. If you have a spare drive then drop that image back onto it and make sure its worked, some name brand computers do "weird" things when cloning.

Dual Booting - you may have to use something like boot manager software to dual boot, if it were a fresh install on a different partition then it would more than likely create it automatically.

Licencing -- Its the same hardware so not a problem, as it wouldn't matter which you boot from the OS will detect the same components.

What is brand of PC ?

Thanks Wainuitech, I was just reading about Backupper myself. It's great advice about cloning the whole drive 1st, I totally agree, name brand PCs does weird things, it's a Toshiba.

dugimodo
23-03-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure but I think it should work ok, and Easy BCD should be able to create and edit the boot menu for you just fine. I've used it to create dual boot menu's before and to remove them later with no issues.
Can also use it to change the boot partition and copy boot files across if needed. Nothing you can't do manually if you know the right steps but a whole lot easier.

Geek4414
23-03-2014, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure but I think it should work ok, and Easy BCD should be able to create and edit the boot menu for you just fine. I've used it to create dual boot menu's before and to remove them later with no issues.
Can also use it to change the boot partition and copy boot files across if needed. Nothing you can't do manually if you know the right steps but a whole lot easier.

Thanks Dugimodo, I have used EasyBCD with Vista/Win7 before, but wasn't sure if it works with Win8/UEFI. Will give it a go.

Geek4414
24-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Backupper is very good, very easy to use and has a nice Browse Image tool as well.

Just found out EasyBCD is no longer free >_<

Any other good freebie alternatives?

http://neosmart.net/Store/

EasyBCD 2.2 US $29.95
NeoSmart Technologies' popular and award-winning dual-boot configurator and Windows bootloader editor tool. Used to set up dual-boots with most operating systems and fix boot-related problems.

EasyBCD Deployment License $15.00
If you're using EasyBCD to create boot profiles that are being deployed site-wide, you need one EasyBCD license plus a deployment license for each additional machine the EasyBCD-created bootloader is cloned to/deployed on. Call or email for volume discount.

fred_fish
24-03-2014, 08:54 PM
2. MS Licence OK? It is the same Win8 licence on same PC and only one partition is running at any one time.

Not according to MS.

How can I use the software?
The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you
the right to install and run one copy only on the computer with which you acquired the software
May I make a backup copy?
Yes, you may make a single copy of the software for backup purposes,
and use that backup copy as described below.
ADDITIONAL TERMS
License Rights and Multi User Scenarios
a.
Computer. In this agreement, “computer” means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual)
with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is
considered a computer. The software is licensed to run on up to only one processor on the licensed
computer.

wainuitech
24-03-2014, 09:33 PM
On the subject of licencing, it seems every OEM manufacture is selling illegally then, These days places like HP, Dell etc who are OEM's don't provide a install DVD.

From MS licencing:
For OEM system builder Windows desktop operating systems, the complete software package must include the COA, hologram CD, and manual(s). A desktop OS is exactly the same OS one on a Lappie. ;)

Many of MS's licencing terms contradicts its self.

Example:
A customer who wants Microsoft Windows installed onto two partitions of a computer system will need to obtain two OEM system builder Windows software licenses. OEM software generally does not permit simultaneous usage of a PC by two end users. if a person is dual booting then only 1 is being used. Unlike multipoint server which can /licenced to do so.

Yes, you may make a single copy of the software for backup purposes Yet on the DVD it Cleary says not to make illegal copies, legally home users are not a MS recognised company to manufacture DVD's so any copy is illegal. And then on their own sites it shows you how to copy and alter a DVD, wim files etc.

One department says you can do XXXX the next says you cant :waughh:

Geek4414
26-03-2014, 09:13 AM
What a big pain in the xxx exercise so far!

diskmgmt cannot shrink the partition below half the existing size, so I can't create a second partition big enough to hold the clone. So have to resort to using GParted on a UBCD.

To boot off the UBCD, I tried the Advanced start up option in Windows 8, choose the CD option and got Media Check [Failed]! Managed to get into the BIOS by pressing F2 at boot, turned off secure boot, still no luck. Got back into the BIOS ... Advanced ... System Configuration and changed boot mode from UEFI to CSM Boot and finally managed to boot the UBCD.

Shrunk the partition down to just under half, so it will leave enough room in second partition to hold the clone. Rebooted and now Win8 wouldn't boot! Back in Gparted, edited the flag to make sure the shrunk partition has the boot flag, rebooted and still no joy!

Oh joy, thought I will now restore the full disk image I made initially, but it wouldn't boot off the Backupper boot CD! I might have to resort to taking out the HDD and run the restore on another PC. GRRRRR!!!!