PDA

View Full Version : How do I delete and extra long DAT file in Win8.1?

Bryan
22-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Here's a doozy.

Having just successfully installed Win 8.1 on my PC, I find two old Windows Folders in the system Windows.old and Windows.old.000. I needed to Takeownership of them before I could delete them except pary of Windows.old.000.

There are three small DAT files that have names too long to be able to be deleted. They are down the tree as follows:-

Windows.old.000/Users/user/Appdata/local/packages/winstore_cw5n...../AC/Microsoft/windows Store/Cache/0/ then the 3 culprits that start o-Namespace-https, then o-Productileextended (two entries).

They only total 8kbs. Anyone know what I can do to remove then as using delete doesn't work, the names are too long!

pcuser42
22-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Tried the command line? :)

Shift+right-click the folder in question, click Open command window here, type "del " (with space) and then press Tab (that'll automatically fill out the name of the first file), and Enter.

Haven't actually tried it, but worth a shot.

Bryan
22-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Thanks for that pcuser42 but no joy. Always get the response that the file name id too long. I can't find a way to shorten them either.

Colpol
22-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Have you tried renaming the file?

Bryan
22-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Yes and no go as the file name is too long. Only options I can get are OPEN WITH, Take Ownership and Send to - the usual list. The problem is that the file name is too long and cannot be changed. I have tried all three of the options. Only things left is to try and move it to an empty partition and to format the partition - I do not know how feasible that is!

Bryan
22-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Well moving the folder to another partition worked in part. However, the three long files would not move so back to square one.

Agent_24
22-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Try this: http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/answer/How-to-delete-a-file-or-folder-when-the-Windows-path-is-too-long

CliveM
22-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Try removing them with 'Disk Cleanup'. Top right corner with the mouse select Search and enter 'Disk Cleanup'. Or try searching 'remove old windows files'. It is fairly easy from there.

Agent_24
22-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Disk Cleanup is unlikely to remove temporary files from the backup of an old Windows installation

Edit; no actually it might, but it would remove the entire backup folder.

CliveM
22-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Disk Cleanup will remove all Windows.old files if that option is selected. If you wish to keep them you can,

Bryan
22-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys but neither worked including Revo Uninstaller.

Bryan
22-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Thanks to CliveM my problem has been solved. When I first ran Disk Cleanup I did not check clean system files. Second time I did and my problem has now been solved. Thank you.