PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 download problems.

Bryan
18-03-2014, 10:57 AM
I am attempting to download the 8.1 upgrade. Many, many people around the world are frustrated that at about 50% download, the download aborts with an error code 0x80240031.

I have tried to find a solution on google but nothing comes up that works. Has anyone here found a solution?

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Win 8 HAS to be up to date before 8.1 will install. Thats if you're getting it from the store

CliveM
18-03-2014, 11:36 AM
It will not show for download in the Store unless Win 8 is fully up to date.

Bryan
18-03-2014, 12:13 PM
I have tried to download again. This time it has worked and at present the PC is in the setting up mode. So, tongue in cheek it looks like it has worked. Fingers crossed.

wainuitech
18-03-2014, 12:55 PM
OFTEN what happens is something is downloaded like a minor update and it needs to be rebooted before 8.1 will install. look at it like the waiting update is blocking 8.1 from installing.

Unlike previous versions of windows unless an update is important you wont get a message saying it needs a reboot, Windows reboots after two days to install them if left on 24/7 if updates are waiting.

Bryan
18-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Well I thought all was well but!!!

When trying to access an icon with a website on the desktop, not the tiles, IE stops working. This is for several icons. Any ideas please?

Lurking
18-03-2014, 02:39 PM
If there is that much trouble, then perhaps one should merely update to Win7 from Xp !.

Lurking.

Bryan
18-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Yes I have decided that this has become a fruitless exercise. I am going to disconnect the Win8 Hdd and reinstall a backup of 7 onto my other Hdd. Maybe one day I will have another go!

wainuitech
18-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Out of the failures I've encountered theres been three or four reasons.

1. Name Brand Computers, they are compatible with Windows 8 but the driver software is not compatible with 8.1, often causes all sorts of problems.
2. A LOT of antivirus software WILL cause havoc with the 8.1 upgrade. Sometimes even though everything appears to go OK the Antivirus can cause problems, normally I uninstall any AV first.
3. As per the AV, some installed programs can cause problems.
4. If the system has any sort of corruptions upgrades fail with different results. Have heard sometimes if a recovery has been done the upgrade will not always work.

In all the cases above with the exception of Number 1, name brand PC's a fresh install of W8 then upgrade has worked, then put all the data and programs back.

Bryan
18-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Not a name brand. I think I made the error of installing over top of an existing Win7. I will format the drive and start again as soon as I have Win7 back on the other HDD. I am running ESET but WIn8 has installed Windows Defender - a no, no right?

wainuitech
18-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Not a name brand. I think I made the error of installing over top of an existing Win7. I will format the drive and start again as soon as I have Win7 back on the other HDD. I am running ESET but WIn8 has installed Windows Defender - a no, no right? Hmmmm an upgrade over an upgrade, ideal case of things that can go wrong.

Not saying that is the cause, but personally I dont like upgrades, often underlying corruptions can cause problems. With 8.1 though you dont really have a choice unless you do it the round about way, which you download the 8.1 upgrade as a ISO file, BUT then you have to muck about changing things as the Windows 8 key wont allow you to install 8.1 as a fresh install. Its still doable just a bit of mucking about.

Windows 8 8.1 comes with a inbuilt AV, nothing you can do about that, if using Nod32, there mostly isn't a problem, done several with Nod installed and all worked fine. There WAS a problem with Version 6 of Nod32 & windows 8.1, but that was fixed with upgrading Nod to version 7.

HINT: if you dont want to use a sign-in Account/ password all the time, make sure W8 is NOT connected to the internet when installing, and select Custom install when its shown ( its not well shown) if doing an upgrade to W8.1 and you currently dont have to sign in, make sure you disconnect the internet when 8.1 requires a reboot to install, right after downloading.

Agent_24
18-03-2014, 05:27 PM
I have never done upgrades for myself because of this kind of thing. Clean install is always the best way.

Greg
18-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Hmmmm an upgrade over an upgrade, ideal case of things that can go wrong.

Not saying that is the cause, but personally I dont like upgrades, often underlying corruptions can cause problems. With 8.1 though you dont really have a choice unless you do it the round about way, which you download the 8.1 upgrade as a ISO file, BUT then you have to muck about changing things as the Windows 8 key wont allow you to install 8.1 as a fresh install. Its still doable just a bit of mucking about.

Windows 8 8.1 comes with a inbuilt AV, nothing you can do about that, if using Nod32, there mostly isn't a problem, done several with Nod installed and all worked fine. There WAS a problem with Version 6 of Nod32 & windows 8.1, but that was fixed with upgrading Nod to version 7.

HINT: if you dont want to use a sign-in Account/ password all the time, make sure W8 is NOT connected to the internet when installing, and select Custom install when its shown ( its not well shown) if doing an upgrade to W8.1 and you currently dont have to sign in, make sure you disconnect the internet when 8.1 requires a reboot to install, right after downloading.

Hmm. I'd like to hear more about this from you and others. Wainuitech I've had lots of new-user dramas with my own Win 8 + 8.1.

Currently I'd like to hear how to anti-virus scan a downloaded file, eg a small movie.... there's no built-in ability to do so far as I can see...?

wainuitech
18-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Currently I'd like to hear how to anti-virus scan a downloaded file, eg a small movie.... there's no built-in ability to do so far as I can see...? Most antivirus software should scan any download as its happening, and warn or stop anything from continuing.

Heres an example:

Nod32 has detected the Toolbar as a unwanted program that comes bundled with Ccleaner these days.

BUT to scan a file you should be able to right click it - and the option to scan with what ever AV is installed should be there.

Never tried it with Windows 8 or 8.1's own Antivirus ( windows defender) if the option is not there try the following ( Note) no idea if it works or not, never tried it, you need to alter the reg:

adding-scan-with-windows-defender-to-the-windows-8-context-menu (http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/08/adding-scan-with-windows-defender-to-the-windows-8-context-menu/#.Uyf3EYRVhlM)

pcuser42
18-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Most antivirus software should scan any download as its happening, and warn or stop anything from continuing.

Not sure about downloads but I have had Windows Defender stop files from being copied as they were suspect.

wainuitech
19-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Not sure about downloads but I have had Windows Defender stop files from being copied as they were suspect.
Any reasonable AV will scan as its being downloaded. Whats the point if a person downloads something and it activates when complete, and then the AV decides its time to react. Better to stop it in the first place.

pcuser42
19-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Any reasonable AV will scan as its being downloaded. Whats the point if a person downloads something and it activates when complete, and then the AV decides its time to react. Better to stop it in the first place.

Problem is I haven' been in that scenario :p

Bryan
19-03-2014, 05:24 PM
OK. I got up the courage and have installed WIN8 on a clean HDD. All has gone well and this evening I will install Win8.1. Thanks WT for the tip re disconnecting the Internet before the final reboot.

Bryan
20-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Well, all has gone well on a clean install. Win8.1 is up and running. All I have to do now is connect my 2TB HDD that contains Win7. That might be interesting.

wainuitech
20-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Suggestion, while its good and clean, image the drive (8.1) Depending on what imaging software you have or dont have, if you dont have any, one that works rather well with a real install ( meaning NOT like HP's multi partitions) is backupper http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html Install it, make a bootable CD from its options, image the WHOLE DRIVE to a external drive. It will make a image of what ever is installed, so if you only have Windows thats all the size will be.

I jump between Backupper and Active@ these days :)

Bryan
20-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks for that WT. I'm now having problems with the Wifi since downloading 8.1 whereas 8 was OK. Certain sites are not connecting. Google is good but, Pressf1 and scitechdaily, time out. I don't know if I need to download the telecom setup helper and work through that or not. I have rebooted both the PC and the modem but it hasn't helped.

CliveM
20-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Try setting your DNS to Open DNS or Google DNS and see how that works.

wainuitech
20-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Have a look back through the posts, if you have a Telecom Modem/Router there was problems with the DNS settings & 8.1.

Just a bit busy right at the moment to locate the previous posts. :(

Agent_24
20-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Have a look back through the posts, if you have a Telecom Modem/Router there was problems with the DNS settings & 8.1.

Just a bit busy right at the moment to locate the previous posts. :(

This: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?135922-New-8-1-build-losing-internet
and probably this also: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?136148-Windows-8-1-and-Telecom-Fibre-Modem-Potential-DNS-issues

wainuitech
20-03-2014, 04:47 PM
This: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?135922-New-8-1-build-losing-internet
and probably this also: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?136148-Windows-8-1-and-Telecom-Fibre-Modem-Potential-DNS-issues Thats them thanks agent :thumbs:

Bryan
20-03-2014, 07:07 PM
WT. What a memory you have. I have used the Telecom primary and secondary server IP addresses and all now appears to be well. I had completely forgotten that I had to do this! Ta.