PDA

View Full Version : Computer Screen Blurry

11-12-2001, 08:09 PM
I have noticed recently that my 15' screen is hard to read. Regardless of whether it be simply the desktop, internet or whatever, the words in particular are fuzzy. (Yes, I already wear glasses & passed an eye test not long ago!) I've tried fiddling with the screen buttons. The contrast button helped to sharpen things up a bit, but also darkened things too much. The brightness button did zilch. Even typing this is a pain - keep rubbing my eyes to clear my vision. It's not my imagination, a couple of friends have just mentioned it to me. Any suggestions? My screen is 3 years old - surely this is one thing that doesn't need updating ..?

11-12-2001, 08:43 PM
Hello Elle, it is not uncommon that after three years a monitor requires a tune up as components and the tube age. Find a monitor speciallist near to you and get them to try and re-focus it. Unless you know what you are doing dont take the cover off.
If what is called the focus block has deteriorated too much then in older monitors the focus cannot be re-set.
Hopefully in your case you may get another year or two. Ask them to also check convergence, as that will affect focus if convergence has changed due to mechanical movements in the tube.
Cheers.

11-12-2001, 10:17 PM
Alternatively, try cleaning your glasses.

Seriously though, Terry sounds like he knows what he is talking about (he usually does).

Blurry screens are a real pain. Only starts after they are out of warranty.

Robo.

11-12-2001, 11:28 PM
Hi Elle

There are a couple of simple tests that you can do to narrow this down.

Firstly, convergence errors will show a red/green/blue colour fringing on letters and are usually worse in the corners of your screen. They rarely affect the central area unless something has gone drastically wrong, i.e. dropping the monitor or finger trouble inside.

Secondly, your monitor screen may be low emission and this will definitely cause poor focus. After it has been on for about half an hour it should be as good as it is going to get. Then set up a WP screen with a block of alternate lines of bold and normal 14 or 16 point text, all capital H's.

Optimise the contrast and brightness to get it as good as you can, carefully note the image quality and any tinting of the white backgound, then turn off your monitor, count to 10 and switch it back on.

Watch as the image comes back up and see if there is any pronounced tinting or if the text is blurry and either effect takes more than 10 seconds to clear. If you find that the image is tinted (usually purple for some obscure reason) then the tube in the monitor is on the way out. Similarly, if the text is blurry and stays that way for several minutes that too indicates a monitor that is on its last legs.

These tests are best done in the evening without too much ambient light.

If you never turn your monitor off then three years might just about be your lot. Three years is about 26,000 hours and the rated life of the tube is probably less than 20,000 hours. There is a minor trade off between the effects of switching on daily and the effects of leaving on all the time but turning off daily usually provides better life in terms of years, if not total hours.

Another possibility if you usually use small font sizes is to right-click an empty spot on your desktop, select properties/effects and check that the box 'smooth edges of screen fonts' is ticked.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)

12-12-2001, 12:40 AM
Sorry Elle

The 'smooth edges of screen fonts' box should NOT be ticked.

I plead advanced brainfade brought on by impending escape on holiday!

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)

12-12-2001, 05:23 PM
Thank you for your suggestion; I am resigned to having to rely on an expert once again to fix the problem. Billy T's suggestion sounds likes a tube is on the way out, but with my computer to be upgraded in a weeks time, I'll let them look at the screen as well. These computers are a pain in the neck to amateurs like me! Elle

12-12-2001, 11:28 PM
With such a recent monitor I doubt that there are external focus adjustments, but it is worth having a look for a screwdriver slot marked 'focus' or similar on the side or back. It is just possible that this has been knocked, particularly if the problem has happened suddenly. Use an insulated screwdriver! Note the position of the slot before making any adjustments so you can put it back to its original position if it doesn't appear to have any effect.