View Full Version : Speed reading website‏

kingdragonfly
13-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Cool idea for reading faster.

Click on graphic to see demo.

http://www.spritzinc.com/

dugimodo
13-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Kinda cool but it feels like it puts an unnatural rhythm to the sentences. I got up to 500 WPM easy enough and could mostly handle 600WPM but it gets so if you miss one word you lose sync and can't follow it. 400WPM seemed the most comfortable to me. I think though it requires more focus and attention and I'm not sure reading a book this way would be something I'd enjoy.

In normal reading if you hit an unfamiliar word you can stop and figure it out, with spritz it's gone and you lose the meaning. I'd guess it'd have to have a pause and rewind button. Still, an awesome Idea for reading E-mails etc on a small screen.

13-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Are we actually taking it all in or just recognizing words ? Sometimes we need to re-read emails a few times to comprehend was the sender was trying to say, so dont know well how it would work with emails . You also loose all formatting that often helps greatly in comprehension (bullet points, paragraphs etc, blank lines)

Try 400 - 600 & then see if you could repeat/remember most of what you just read .
Hardly a relaxing or enjoyable way to read a good book . Might be OK for those boring technical books , just to get through them quickly.
:-)

pctek
13-03-2014, 12:59 PM
I can tell you there is nothing cool about reading fast.

I can read an average sized novel in a couple of hours. I get told to read slower, but you read at the speed you read....you can stall and re-read sentences over but once you're back to actually reading, it's back to your default speed, you can't go slower.

You run out of books in no time at all.

pctek
13-03-2014, 01:04 PM
You read 920 words per minute.
That makes you 268% faster than the national average.

http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/technology-research-centers/ereaders/speed-reader/index.html

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2014, 02:45 PM
I thought it was very cool! :D

dugimodo
13-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Although they make a bit of a big deal about how fast you can read this way I don't think speed reading is really the main usefulness of this Idea.
I think it's real strength is an easy way to read text on a relatively small screen without constantly scrolling.

! only scored 235 on the site pctek linked but I find 400 easy on spritz - kinda proves their point but I still don't think I care to read a book that way.

we need to re-read emails a few times to comprehend was(sic) the sender was you prove your own case, needed context to figure that out.