PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia driver failed to install

R.M.
12-03-2014, 07:28 PM
I am running a Windows 7 Pro setup, and when I was asked tonight if I wanted to install new drivers - I foolishly said yes. And, of course, they failed to install... :(

So now what? I do a fair bit of photography on this 'puter, so really need the set-up to be ok.

I was thinking I needed to do a reformat - maybe this is just pushing me into it, but I don't really have the time at the moment.

So - what is the short term solution?

TIA, as always. :)

gary67
12-03-2014, 07:48 PM
are the old drivers still working if so just carry on using it

R.M.
12-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Gary - after muttering obscenities to oneself, I settled and did an on-line search and found a solution - I redid the install, used 'Custom' and then selected 'A clean install'.

I am happy to report that all went well and everything is ok now. But hey - thank you for your quick response and support, as always it is truly appreciated while I panic... :)

Agent_24
12-03-2014, 09:56 PM
If things get really messed up, you can always remove the old drivers completely with http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html and then install the new ones.

pctek
13-03-2014, 06:09 AM
I am running a Windows 7 Pro setup, and when I was asked tonight if I wanted to install new drivers - I foolishly said yes. And, of course, they failed to install... :(

Boot without graphics drivers (from menu), remove old driver, install the proper one.

Always install a GPU driver from the manufacturer only. Manually.

R.M.
13-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Yes - I've just learnt that lesson! Thanks.

dugimodo
13-03-2014, 08:33 AM
It seemed to stall for me too on windows 8, sat there for about an hour looking like it was doing something and never finished. When I forced it to close and reopened it though it says the driver is up to date now and everything is working ok so I think maybe it just had a problem realising the install was finished.

I don't think it's foolish to let the Nvidia software download the latest driver, foolish might be letting windows update do it. It is after all the official driver from the manufacturer and install issues aren't that common (i.e. it works most of the time for most people) and unlike most system drivers where a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach might be the wisest graphics cards drivers tend to bring performance improvements and compatibilty fixes and are generally worth having.