PDA

View Full Version : Crapple... don't you hate it when...

Greg
10-03-2014, 11:17 PM
... you watch a movie or TV series when a product supplier buys their way into a decent show?

I've been watching TV3's programmes of House of Cards, and virtually every single device... phone, tablet and laptop is always blimmin Apple! Sickening!

icow
11-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Tbh I couldn't care less about computers and phones in movies/tv shows. The thing that gets me is car companies buying into them.

beetle
11-03-2014, 01:29 AM
oooooooooooohhhh and some other mad person is awake at this hour :p

apples are rotten............to the core :p

icow
11-03-2014, 01:33 AM
oooooooooooohhhh and some other mad person is awake at this hour :p

Just finished watching some awful show on sky, can confirm it was Mac and BMW free.

beetle
11-03-2014, 01:38 AM
well my excuse is ive been sick these past few days and done way too much sleeping, and really doing not much and now i just cant sleep......... :D

if it was awful...........why did you watch it ? :p

icow
11-03-2014, 01:46 AM
It was the least-awful thing I could find :p

beetle
11-03-2014, 01:56 AM
LOL

sleep well then :)

kenj
11-03-2014, 06:40 AM
Sounds a bit like pillow talk you lot :-)
Ken

Webdevguy
11-03-2014, 07:28 AM
... you watch a movie or TV series when a product supplier buys their way into a decent show?

I've been watching TV3's programmes of House of Cards, and virtually every single device... phone, tablet and laptop is always blimmin Apple! Sickening!

On the contrary, Apple don't actually pay for product placement in any movie or TV show. iProducts get placed in shows because the shows producers want viewers to see cool products. Prior to the arrival if the iPod you would only ever see Dell or some other PC used for product placement.

CYaBro
11-03-2014, 07:36 AM
You should see ncis Los Angeles, blatant Microsoft surface product placement.

KarameaDave
11-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Yes their tentacles reach all sorts of places.
Not just cRapple all these ******** corporations are corrupt and concerned only with profit.

We will soon be giving them our autonomy through the hijacked TPP

negotiated in secret by twisty wee herbets

vote 'em out I say!

Greg
11-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Well, interesting comments. But in fact I don't actually "hate" it myself, but it's clear blatant plugging. And whether the suppliers pay for it, or the producers have a bias isn't the real issue... I just really dislike how movies and TV shows try and influence people. You often see non-biased products where the logos are deliberately not in your face.

Webdevguy
11-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Tbh I couldn't care less about computers and phones in movies/tv shows. The thing that gets me is car companies buying into them.

TV series cost multi millions to produce.. how else are they supposed to get the money together?

Webdevguy
11-03-2014, 09:24 AM
You should see ncis Los Angeles, blatant Microsoft surface product placement.

Uh huh and don't forget Hawaii Five - 0, Windows big assed table computer, Windows Phones, Windows tablets at every opportunity being flashed across the screen

CYaBro
11-03-2014, 09:45 AM
And then there's Two & 1/2 Men, that has Apple stuff everywhere but they cover up the Apple logos, however you can still tell that it is an iMac or whatever.

Webdevguy
11-03-2014, 10:17 AM
And then there's Two & 1/2 Men, that has Apple stuff everywhere but they cover up the Apple logos, however you can still tell that it is an iMac or whatever.

I think shows cover up the Apple logo on Macs because they don't want to give Apple any extra free exposure, baring in mind that Apple wouldn't have paid for the product placement in the first place and they are probably hoping that "uninformed" viewers will think that the white laptop or desktop is a Sony PC since they look a lot like Apple computers.

I've noticed that iMacs have been having the Apple logo covered for about the last 8-10 years or so when being used in product placement shots.

Apple are also the only computing company that doesn't have to pay for product placement (http://www.businessinsider.com.au/apple-product-placements-in-tv-and-movies-2012-8?op=1#mission-impossible-1) in movies or TV shows.

11-03-2014, 10:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L2fsubA2-c

Its Mapple btw, not crapple :thumbs:

pcuser42
11-03-2014, 11:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L2fsubA2-c

Its Mapple btw, not crapple :thumbs:

That's parody, not product placement :p

dugimodo
11-03-2014, 11:28 AM
I don't mind it if the product fits into the story, rather that than stopping for adds which I really dislike. Some of it is laughably blatant though - like an opening shot that is the back side of a laptop with the logo centre screen and stays there for a couple seconds before moving into the scene.

On the flip side I'm amused by the show makers refusal to show labels for free resulting in all kinds of generic looking products like cans of drink in popular shows

Webdevguy
11-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Yes their tentacles reach all sorts of places.
Not just cRapple all these ******** corporations are corrupt and concerned only with profit.

We will soon be giving them our autonomy through the hijacked TPP

negotiated in secret by twisty wee herbets

vote 'em out I say!

I don't know of any business out there that is not concerned about making a profit from selling a product or service to customers. If you are Telecom, Vodafone, The Warehouse, BP, IBM
, HP, your corner dairy, your plumber or any other business then you need to be profitable to survive and the more profit you make the better things will be.

11-03-2014, 01:14 PM
On the flip side I'm amused by the show makers refusal to show labels for free resulting in all kinds of generic looking products like cans of drink in popular shows

Those 'made up' labels sometimes start being sold in the real world after becoming famous on TV. Duff beer

KarameaDave
11-03-2014, 01:52 PM
I don't know of any business out there that is not concerned about making a profit from selling a product or service to customers. If you are Telecom, Vodafone, The Warehouse, BP, IBM
, HP, your corner dairy, your plumber or any other business then you need to be profitable to survive and the more profit you make the better things will be.

Talk about missing the point entirely.

beetle
11-03-2014, 01:56 PM

Yeah we were talking about awful programs and sleeping a :p

KarameaDave
11-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Yeah we were talking about awful programs and sleeping a :p

Yes

And I sympathise with your lack of sleep
I have had trouble with sleeping all my life
When I was young, just older than a toddler
I would get up and walk to my parents room
and quietly stand watching them sleep.
Scared the shite out of them every time.
I quickly learned to stay in my bed and not disturb the family when they were sleeping.

Watching TV only makes it worse for me.

These days I am recovering from hand surgery and on painkillers which effectively knock me out.
Temporary, but welcome relief from the ol' insomnia.

What a hell of a price I will pay in a couple of weeks though.

icow
11-03-2014, 03:07 PM
TV series cost multi millions to produce.. how else are they supposed to get the money together?

No problem with them doing it, it's just that when cars are used it seems to be awfully obvious.

E.g. Mission Impossible: "BMW Protocol" and the Walking Dead.

Webdevguy
11-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Missing what point?

You made a comment about not liking companies that make massive profits.. Correct?

Webdevguy
11-03-2014, 04:51 PM
No problem with them doing it, it's just that when cars are used it seems to be awfully obvious.

E.g. Mission Impossible: "BMW Protocol" and the Walking Dead.

Yup..if they made it "too" subtle everyone would miss it, especially American audiences ;)

KarameaDave
11-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Missing what point?

You made a comment about not liking companies that make massive profits.. Correct?

Not really...

I was making points about the Transpacific Partnership
It's hijacking by the good ol' USA

And any business that is concerned ONLY with profit.

Your lack of understanding appears disingenuous

Webdevguy
11-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Not really...

That was probably down to my not reading it properly. :)

KarameaDave
11-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Not to worry, done it myself at times. :)

CliveM
11-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Not really...

Yes. They do it all so much better in Venezuela don't they Dave :)

wmoore
12-03-2014, 02:32 AM
Just finished watching all of House of Cards. Apart from Apple, there is also Blackberry, Window's phone. Samsung, Mercedes benz, Volvo and a few others which I can't remember.

Greg
12-03-2014, 05:06 AM
Just finished watching all of House of Cards. Apart from Apple, there is also Blackberry, Window's phone. Samsung, Mercedes benz, Volvo and a few others which I can't remember.Yeah I did notice several other brands, but you can't deny that Apple is most prominent?

As for the programme... you seem to have liked it as much as me. I can't wait for the next series.

Webdevguy
12-03-2014, 08:22 AM
House of Cards rocks! :thumbs:

We also live in a world that is all about branding and product placement because, well, it works. People see some product being used in a movie or TV show and they want to try that product.

Simple really.

KarameaDave
12-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Yes. They do it all so much better in Venezuela don't they Dave :)

I wouldn't know Clive.

I am more concerned about the loss of self-determination, that we as a nation will forego in the hijacked TPP.

If we agree to the USA's extortionate demands.

Tim Groser needs to front up with the proposals so we can see what we are agreeing to BEFORE
we sign any of it, not after, AFTER IS TOO LATE. So far he has refused, and the only conclusion to draw from that is that we will be giving away more than we should, in return for less than we want.

Geek4414
12-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Apple Gets Free Product Placement in TV Shows, Movies

http://8www.dailytech.com/Apple+Gets+Free+Product+Placement+in+TV+Shows+Movi es/article24679.htm

"Apple won't pay to have their products featured, but they are more than willing to hand out an endless amount of computers, iPads and iPhones," said Gavin Polone, producer of HBO's*Curb Your Enthusiasm. "It's kind of a graft situation."

...*Now, the latest*Mission:Impossible*movie is featuring about eight minutes of Apple products like iPhones, iPads and Macs. The approximate value of this screen time is $23 million.

icow
12-03-2014, 09:34 AM
The approximate value of this screen time is $23 million.

Would hate to think how much BMW paid for all those car chases :horrified

Webdevguy
12-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Would hate to think how much BMW paid for all those car chases :horrified

It's a worthwhile investment if it results in a lift in BMW sales to Europe and North America.