PDA

View Full Version : I need a solution (networking issue)

DeSade
07-03-2014, 12:41 PM
We use Cisco IP phones and in the office we daisy chain the laptops from them for internet.

Now we also work from home and use standard internet setups.
One of my team only has mobile internet at home (t-stick or something) and that cannot supply internet to the phone directly.

Is it possible, and how can it be done if it is to share a internet connection from the laptop (which can use the stick) to the phone.
It is just reversing the daisy chain we use in the office so should work right?

SolMiester
07-03-2014, 12:52 PM
IP phone would require an IP address so would need a DHCP server, which the laptop is not going to provide...I would look at getting a 3G router with an ethernet port on it to plug the phone into. The laptop can use the wireless access of the 3G router and the phone will gets its IP addy for the router too!..

3G Routers...heaps to choose from
http://www.ascent.co.nz/search.aspx?T1=3G+router&D1=2101

Actually, 4G in CHCH would give you better broadband than ADSL!....just ensure the t-stick is compatible with the router.

DeSade
07-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I didn't realize a stick could provide a router like that with internet access.

Alex B
07-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Why not just use a softphone on that laptop in that setup?

DeSade
07-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Why not just use a softphone on that laptop in that setup?

They don't work very well with our phone system.

Webdevguy
07-03-2014, 02:42 PM
We use Cisco IP phones and in the office we daisy chain the laptops from them for internet.

Now we also work from home and use standard internet setups.
One of my team only has mobile internet at home (t-stick or something) and that cannot supply internet to the phone directly.

Is it possible, and how can it be done if it is to share a internet connection from the laptop (which can use the stick) to the phone.
It is just reversing the daisy chain we use in the office so should work right?

Would this work (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_building_broadband_service_manager/hotspot/1-0/user/guide/hs10user/hs10_02.html)

SolMiester
07-03-2014, 02:54 PM
You probably have to remember, this will be joe average user setting this up...3G router, keep it simple

Alex B
07-03-2014, 03:40 PM
They don't work very well with our phone system.

Unless you're getting excellent latency on your 3G stick I don't think an IP phone is going to work well either.

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2014, 07:02 PM
They work alright, most 3G networks in NZ give <100ms latency nationally. It's not ideal, but it's acceptable, and if they're staying in the one spot it's generally not _too_ bad. Funnily enough in my experience 2degrees although they have lower throughput they seem to have a more stable connection with the least amount of jitter!

If you're getting a reliable 1mbps on the 3G router, you can happily run half a dozen concurrent calls, even with uncompressed g711. That said, get them (Whoever setup the Cisco phone) to change the codecs on the device to iLBC, g729 or maybe even GSM. I don't believe most Ciscos support iLBC and you may or may not have to pay extra for g729 so GSM is probably the best, uses a lot less bandwidth. iLBC is _ideal_ though coz of how well it handles packet loss, jitter, out-of-order packets etc.

You *can* make your laptop act as a router for the 3G connection without too much hassle, so if they're on a budget you can turn on Internet Connection Sharing and a DHCP server on the laptop, but having the 3G Router share the USB Data Stick is easiest / most reliable.

fred_fish
07-03-2014, 07:23 PM
You *can* make your laptop act as a router for the 3G connection without too much hassle, so if they're on a budget you can turn on Internet Connection Sharing and a DHCP server on the laptop, but having the 3G Router share the USB Data Stick is easiest / most reliable.

Or a VM with FREESCO or such as router/dhcp server :)

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2014, 12:03 AM
That's complete overkill when windows comes with a DHCP server, OR you can download one that's like half a meg or whatevs :p