PDA

View Full Version : Windows updates - optional updates and drivers

FoxyMX
06-03-2014, 09:05 PM
A few years ago people recommended against installing driver updates from Microsoft's Update website. Is this still the case? As far as I can tell I have installed all the latest updates for my motherboard from the manufacturer's website yet Windows Update says I should install these two:

"ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Other hardware - AMDA00 Interface" and also

"Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 - Download size: 99.6 MB".

Should I install them or not touch them?

What about all the Optional Recommended updates? Install or leave?

pcuser42
07-03-2014, 05:30 AM
I haven't had any problems installing them.

CliveM
07-03-2014, 06:33 AM
I always install urgent and reccomended updates and have never had a problem. I do however ensure that I have a recent restore oint and also a recent image just in case. I never need them I am just a little paranoid. Unlike some I find it impossible to believe that MS would deliberately stabotage their own OS. Updates are issued to fix known problems or vunerabilities so it makes sense to install them. Optional updates I only ever install if they look useful. Video drivers I only install from the manufacturer.

wainuitech
07-03-2014, 06:56 AM
I always install urgent and reccomended updates and have never had a problem. I do however ensure that I have a recent restore oint and also a recent image just in case. I never need them I am just a little paranoid. Unlike some I find it impossible to believe that MS would deliberately stabotage their own OS. Updates are issued to fix known problems or vunerabilities so it makes sense to install them. Optional updates I only ever install if they look useful. Video drivers I only install from the manufacturer. Its NOT paranoid, its good practices.

07-03-2014, 07:39 AM
Never do driver updates via Winupdates. never.
Ive seen that screw things up on a few machines , the device might either stop working or not work properly .

If you want driver updates, go to the manufacturer of the board,chip, card

dugimodo
07-03-2014, 08:04 AM
I let windows update download drivers sometimes and it seems to work ok. However it's not necesary if you are having no issues there's no need to update any drivers.
Gamers tend to want to stay up to date with graphics card drivers from the chipset manufacturer for the performance tweaks and game compatibility fixes but for other usage it's mor ea case of "if it ain't broke..."

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2014, 08:11 AM
I've updated the ASUS ATK option through windowsupdate before. With no probs. But, I wouldnt install every driver through windowsupdate. I updated the wireless on the netbook once thru there. It stopped 1/2 way thru installing. And froze the system.

I had to reboot, then it installed, but then it hung on shutdown because of that driver. In the end, I had to roll the driver back to fix it. So it'll install the older driver

FoxyMX
07-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks all. I will make a system restore point and install the first one but am a bit wary about the second one given that it is for graphics. The motherboard's Update Utility is still adamant that there are no updates available so I'm not sure why Microsoft seems to think there is. And yes, I am paranoid. :p

pcuser42
07-03-2014, 08:14 PM
The motherboard's Update Utility

That's even worse :p

FoxyMX
08-03-2014, 05:26 PM
It would be, wouldn't it :rolleyes: :p