PDA

View Full Version : BUILD YOUR OWN PC

11-12-2001, 04:32 PM
I am thinking to build a PC with the following components.

P4 1.7-2G
Gforce 2 MX400 TV out
Creative Sound Blaster Live Digital 5.1 SE
40G Hard Drive
512MB SDRAM or RDRAM
56k Modem
Midi Tower Case

Can any one tell me what sort of motherboard I should have? and should I have the SDRAM or RDRAM? or any sugestion for a better combination?

Of course I would like the motherboard to have the room for future expansion.

Thanks. jl

11-12-2001, 05:31 PM
SDRAM will cripple it. Because of its design the P4 needs fast ram.

One of the hardware sites (www.arstechnica.com or www.tomshardware.com etc) had a benchmark showing how much it affected performance.

You may be able to find a DDR board as its much cheaper than RDRAM.

For future expansion, Intel is changing the number of pins the P4s use, so you will want to get one of the newer boards.

11-12-2001, 09:11 PM
In addition to bm's suggestions, I'd go for a Sound Blaster Audigy card, as they are phasing out the Live! range now.

11-12-2001, 10:48 PM
What are you planning on using the PC for? RD-RAM is quicker than SD-RAM but may not be all that noticeable depending on what you're doing. If possible get a board which supports DDR RAM, PC World did a test recently and found it quicker than the other two types, and is alot cheaper than RD-RAM.

JM

12-12-2001, 10:23 AM
Go for an AMD system its cheaper and faster $ for
$ also get a better graphics card and a good cd burner you can read up on components from ascent.co.nz and compare prices its actually cheaper to buy one 2nd hand from someone headed off overseas try trademe.co.nz and do a search if you really want intel go for the P 3 again more cost effective and almost as fast if not faster than the 4 in some cases.

12-12-2001, 02:37 PM
You are obviously prepared to shell out the coin for decent components so I'd recommend going for an ASUS board. Concur with advice to get latest ram support if possible, then you can choose which RAM to buy also.

CDWriter a good plan too, check out last month's issue of PC World and you'll see that the ASUS CDR/RW was rated the BEST, and was the CHEAPEST too (go figure that).

Good luck.

12-12-2001, 04:54 PM
Thanks Guys,

The system I am thinking to build (replace my P2) is mainly for general use, but mostly for audio and video feature.

To Great Build,
CDWriter is my plan 2

More sugestion will be appreciated!

Thanks very much for the help!

12-12-2001, 05:01 PM
Thanks Guys,
The system I am thinking to build (replace my P2) is mainly for general use, but mostly for audio and video feature.

To Great Build, CDWriter is my plan 2

More sugestion will be appreciated!

Thanks very much for the help!

17-12-2001, 01:10 PM
STAY AWAY FRoM AMD!!!!!!!!!!
IF YOU WANT YOUR COMPUTER TO BE WORTH NOTHING IN LESS THAN A YEAR USE AMD.STAY WITH INTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

17-12-2001, 11:33 PM
Hi JLJL

I have to agree with Bob Jones. Intel provides a more stable solution. One thing you have to get right is the motherboard. Buy ASUS. You can't find a better board. I recommend P4B-LS with onboard SCSI more money, but goes like hell!