PDA

View Full Version : usb ports don't work

bruce666
05-03-2014, 09:41 PM
None of the four usb ports of my laptop can read USB pen drives. I get an error message "You need to format disk in drive "E" before you can use it " This has been happening a bit for quite a while but usually I could get into the pen drive after two or three tries and switching ports, but not any more. The pen drives work fine in other computers.

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Might be corrupted. I would format it copy something to it. Then see if the message comes up again. Make sure you eject it or it'll get corrupt

bruce666
05-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Might be corrupted. I would format it copy something to it. Then see if the message comes up again. Make sure you eject it or it'll get corrupt
"Windows was unable to complete the format." I'm pretty sure I've always used the eject command. The pen drives work in other computers.

Slankydudl
05-03-2014, 10:37 PM
It will only corrupt things if its in the middle of writing something when you pull it out.

dugimodo
06-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Do other USB devices work ok with the Laptop?

You could try removing the USB drivers from Device manager and rebooting, they should redetect and reinstall.
Alternatively find the manufacturers website and download the latest drivers for your system.

And while it's goood practice to always eject or "Safely remove" USB flash drives they default to the optimise for safe removal setting (no write caching) meaning as long as it's not in the middle of reading or writing it's safe to just pull them out. I only use mine for temporary storage or file transfers though so having to reformat would be no big deal.

bruce666
06-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Do other USB devices work ok with the Laptop?

Yes, printer, mouse, phone syncing and ereader syncing all work.

Agent_24
06-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Might be something wrong with the 5v USB power supply in the laptop.