PDA

View Full Version : Just had a call from a nice Asian lady @ Telecom......

Billy T
04-03-2014, 12:08 PM
She told me that my email server details need to be changed as Telecom is updating its XTRA systems (probably about time too).

I put her through the wringer for several minutes and there were no slips, so I'm more or less convinced that she was kosher, especially when she said I can go to the Telecom (Spark!) website and do it all there if I want to.

I've checked her email in Mailwasher and it looks kosher, but you can't be too careful. I would have expected a quantum shift like this to be publicised by Telecom by an insert in the monthly bill or an official email. What arouses suspicion and leaves nagging doubts is that she offered to walk me through it right there and then!

So, is this for real?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :illogical

04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Probhably legit
Xtra(yahoo) are moving email to SSL only . I think they may have been contacting some customers , as when they make the final shift to SSL email, if you havnt changed
your email setup you wont get mail.

But their website is truly appalling for trying to find helpful info. In fact most ISP's have hard to find self-help info, hard to find & really buried deep in there, somewhere.
You THINK they would make self help info REALLY easy to find, just to stop customers ringing the help desks, it would save them money on support.

Something like this , should be on Telecoms website main page, big & bold so everyone will see it.

SolMiester
04-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Yes, all above board, I had the same thing, they just wanted to ensure I was using yahoo smtp server for outgoing!!...she even send a link to the telecom web site where it has the same info!

Renegade
04-03-2014, 12:54 PM
They're even hassling some people who are using the correct settings.

Billy T
04-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Well, I just got call number two, and that was much briefer and rather more convincing, so I am now reassured that I won't be contributing to some off-shore person's retirement fund.

It was the persistence of the first caller that made me wonder, I mean, she was calling for Telecom yet she was actually trying to help!

That would raise anybody's suspicions! :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{()

b....
05-03-2014, 07:22 PM
http://www.telecom.co.nz/helpandsupport/helpandsupport/xtraemailsettings/

wainuitech
05-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Telecom are ringing people.

BUT Xtra STILL have problems with their settings, so far since monday I've had 6 calls from customers who once they changed, xtras server rejects the account, even after checking they had the ssl set right.

One person , while at their house we called xtra, xtra insist theres no problems, yet there is.

I asked why is it then if the secure settings are set back to 110 & 25 everything works fine. Its not the authentication as it shows its being accepted, just the email address rejected ??? They checked what was entered and all was correct. They couldn't answer :groan: so back to 110 & 25, everything worked, next step is web mail like outlook.com or something.

dugimodo
06-03-2014, 09:15 AM
I missed the call and they left a message on my machine and sent and E-mail, which linked me to the website.
So I followed the instructions - Live mail was already correct, my 2 android devices needed updating, and I thought I was done.

Now they've E-mailed me again to say their records show I haven't updated, I think maybe my various PC's running windows 8 might need the default app (that I don't use) updated, but how they'd know what I have and haven't updated is beyond me. I'd have thought you'd need to log in with the wrong settings for them to know, or possibly send an E-mail.

06-03-2014, 10:04 AM
BUT Xtra STILL have problems with their settings, so far since monday I've had 6 calls from customers who once they changed, xtras server rejects the account, even after checking they had the ssl set right.

In Outlook, sometimes you need to use Auto , (not SSL) for smtp security settings . Seen that quite a few times
Some freeware AV isnt compatible with SSL (email virus scanning) & email scanning may need to be turned off. Sometimes it works anyway, despite AV popup saying its not compatible with SSL
Also , its still not unusual to take 2 or 3 attempts to login, somtetimes needs a 15minute wait before it just decides to work . That happens every other day on my home xtra email.
Using multiple devices to login to the same email a/c is another thing that yahoo sometimes also has/had issues with: the a/c will be locked for anywhere from a hour to a week, then suddenly start working again for no reason. That was a known fault they were very reluctant to admit to.......not very common though.

This is the POS email system that Telecom decided is good enough for hundreds of thousands of PAYING customers.
"no known issues" is the official statement from telecom. :groan:

inphinity
06-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Telecom did publish this, big and bold, on their website over a year ago when they started the migration, and did an email out. Now they're phoning people because so many ignored it.

Billy T
07-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Telecom's website "Help" is about as much use as tits on a bull!

I have three email accounts, two with Xtra and one with Orcon who host my domain name and its email

So, is it fair to say that all I have to do is go into settings and select ssl, which will change the port number? (in my case I need to change it for Xtra email and for Mailwasher).

I also have my business email domain name and email account hosted by Orcon so do I need to look at their settings as well?

If so, that 'Spark' needs to turn into a blowlamp and burn the arses of the people who write their "help" pages, and I use the word help very loosely indeed!

One of the three is already using SSL, I don't recall which off hand.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(