PDA

View Full Version : My friend wants to buy a mobile phone from ebay - would you

Digby
03-03-2014, 01:12 PM
A friend of mine wants to buy a Nokia N8 mobile from ebay from a Hongkong seller.

They say the phone is unlocked.

What should we watch out for ?

Charger

Any other fishhooks
Its about $217 NZ

Webdevguy
03-03-2014, 01:24 PM
I'd watch out for everything considering the phone is unlocked and the seller is not local.

Personally I'd say it would be safer to buy a cheap smart phone locally. Much less risk to the buyer if it all goes sideways.

It's also a Nokia. As a company they have lost their phone Mojo in a big way recently.

Your friend would be better off getting a second hand iPhone or Android - ( chose preferred brand)

Agent_24
03-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Also, if it breaks, what is their return policy? Do they have a return policy?

johcar
03-03-2014, 06:49 PM
I bought my Nexus One from a dealer on eBay - shipping from USA though and he had thousands of good reviews....

In this case I actually agree with Webdevguy (!! :) ) - the N8 is an 'old' phone now. Might be better to encourage your friend to bite the bullet and buy something a newer, from a technology POV...

Digby
04-03-2014, 06:03 AM
Yes I am asking more from the connection side of things rather than the rusk of buying from overseas.

She thinks she can save a couple of hundred dollar and has already bought dress from ebay (China)

I told her about Nokia being on a downward slide sales wise, but she has had 2 of them before and likes the brand.

What does unlocked mean ?

johcar
04-03-2014, 06:32 AM
Unlocked means not tied to a specific telco. I believe Skinny and Vodafone lock their cheap (>$70) handsets so they can only be used on their own network. This is a common practice overseas, and not just for cheap phones.

But even if it is locked, there are ways to get then unlocked, either by requesting the Telco she's with our by googling the unlock codes

Webdevguy
04-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Yes I am asking more from the connection side of things rather than the rusk of buying from overseas.

She thinks she can save a couple of hundred dollar and has already bought dress from ebay (China)

I told her about Nokia being on a downward slide sales wise, but she has had 2 of them before and likes the brand.

What does unlocked mean ?

Unlocked is ok, its when they are jailbroken that the warranty is void.

Have you suggested to your friend that she could go into a Noel Leemings or Dick Smith and check out some other decent phones before she drops $200+ on a crappy Nokia?

Digby
04-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Unlocked is ok, its when they are jailbroken that the warranty is void.

Have you suggested to your friend that she could go into a Noel Leemings or Dick Smith and check out some other decent phones before she drops $200+ on a crappy Nokia?

May be I'll take her in to have a look

But why do you say the Nokia is crappy ?

icow
04-03-2014, 09:30 AM
It was released in 2010. Says it all really.

Webdevguy
04-03-2014, 09:41 AM
May be I'll take her in to have a look

I say that because they were too stubborn to adapt to the changes that happened to the market after the iPhone got introduced. Nokia's Symbian OS was no match for the iPhone OS or for Android and it still isn't. They were stuck at a cross road and with a stubborn CEO running the company they couldn't decide which way to go.

Blackberry had similar issues with their two stubborn CEOs and they are now screwed.

To top that all off Nokia are now are stuck with putting a dual Windows/Android package on the phone in an attempt to make it attractive to customers.

To make a great phone these days you need to have your UI to gel with your OS which gels with your hardware and the phone eco system.

The iPhone has it, Android has theirs. Nokia has some bits. They have some good points about the hardware but not enough for the full package.

WalOne
04-03-2014, 09:51 AM

Icow's comment is too subjective. Let's have more objectivity.

Precisely; what do you mean by crappy? Why is it crappy? Is it crappy because you've been brainwashed into thinking W7.5 or W8 is inferior? Is the "downward spiral" of Nokia all that objective either?

Webdevguy
04-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Icow's comment is too subjective. Let's have more objectivity.

Precisely; what do you mean by crappy? Why is it crappy? Is it crappy because you've been brainwashed into thinking W7.5 or W8 is inferior? Is the "downward spiral" of Nokia all that objective either?

While W8 and W8 are ok as stand alone desktop OS's neither have an ecosystem that gels smoothly with the mobile versions of the OS and its apps in the same way that iPhone and Android do.

iOS and Android have both been built from the ground up to run on low powered hand held devices.

Nokia's continued lack of sales (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/04112bea-8425-11e3-9903-00144feab7de.html) and dealings with Microsoft have only added to their downward spiral.

icow
04-03-2014, 11:11 AM
It was released in 2010. Says it all really.

To elaborate, there are better phones for the money.

Consider: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3252&idPhone2=5831

In my eyes the Moto G appears to be significantly better in almost all technical aspect apart from storage and expandability (assuming we are comparing the 8gb version here). The Moto G retails unlocked for $179.99 (around $215NZD excluding shipping). Am I recommending the Moto G over the N8 specifically? No, I'm pointing out that there are devices which are better which are available for similar money.

To answer the question "would I buy a phone from ebay?":

Maybe, but probably only if the seller was a store which had chosen to operate on ebay along side their own site/store (or something of similar nature). I wouldn't trust individual sellers.

Webdevguy
04-03-2014, 11:24 AM
To elaborate, there are better phones for the money.

Consider: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3252&idPhone2=5831

In my eyes the Moto G appears to be significantly better in almost all technical aspect apart from storage and expandability (assuming we are comparing the 8gb version here). The Moto G retails unlocked for $179.99 (around $215NZD excluding shipping). Am I recommending the Moto G over the N8 specifically? No, I'm pointing out that there are devices which are better which are available for similar money.

To answer the question "would I buy a phone from ebay?":

Maybe, but probably only if the seller was a store which had chosen to operate on ebay along side their own site/store (or something of similar nature). I wouldn't trust individual sellers.

Tech specs are only any use to a computer nerd. They don't mean anything to a regular consumer.

The stuff Digby's friend would find more useful would be the day to day usability like how easy is it to call or text a friend. Is it easy for a non tech person to get from the home screen to the email part of the phone or to actually make a phone call on the phone...
and what am I referring to when I talk about the "Home Screen"?? considering that we are talking about a phone and not a traditional computer.
What happens when I've written an email.. how do I go about sending it? Is the Send button easy to see?

What happens when I touch the screen and nothing happens? Does that mean the I broke the phone?

Id suggest she has a good look at that are designed to be user friendly before she decides what to buy.

04-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Tech specs are only any use to a computer nerd. They don't mean anything to a regular consumer.

Even to a nerd they can be meaningless
Trying even to compare ph CPU specs: just so many different makes & models of CPU, comparing CPU speed is meaningless as higher speed doesnt mean faster than a different model CPU.
Screen Resolution tells me nothing about how readable it is outside in bright light.
Batt Standby times & talk times : are they ever real life numbers or just made up ? :p

Billy T
04-03-2014, 02:16 PM
There are kiosks turning up in Malls offering cellphone servicing and they include unlocking, and I'm sure one in my neighbourhood has jailbreaking on their 'services' list as well.

Maybe it's a trend, or even a movement!

Cheers

Billy

Webdevguy
04-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Even to a nerd they can be meaningless
Trying even to compare ph CPU specs: just so many different makes & models of CPU, comparing CPU speed is meaningless as higher speed doesnt mean faster than a different model CPU.
Screen Resolution tells me nothing about how readable it is outside in bright light.
Batt Standby times & talk times : are they ever real life numbers or just made up ? :p

Battery standby times are real but are better used as an approximation.

I think that the overall usability aspects when compared across brands are more relevant to the consumer.
Stuff like how do I view my photos, how do I text or transfer music from my computer to my phone or vice versa or how do I add a new contact to my contacts list. That's the stuff that matters.

plod
04-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Icow's comment is too subjective. Let's have more objectivity.Precisely; what do you mean by crappy? Why is it crappy? Is it crappy because you've been brainwashed into thinking W7.5 or W8 is inferior? Is the "downward spiral" of Nokia all that objective either?For a start the N8 is symbian and not WP. And yes after giving 7.5 and 8 a good crack and recommended in past I no longer do. No brainwashing needed.