PDA

View Full Version : What price Nexus 7

Cicero
27-02-2014, 07:44 AM
I want a 10" unit, so put my 7 on Trade Me for $200,all I seem the be getting is yawning!

dugimodo
27-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Is it the current model or last years? and 16 or 32GB
$200 seems reasonable but tablets are getting cheaper or maybe everyone else is going for 10" too.
If I didn't already have one I'd buy it at that.

Cicero
27-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Is it the current model or last years? and 16 or 32GB
$200 seems reasonable but tablets are getting cheaper or maybe everyone else is going for 10" too.
If I didn't already have one I'd buy it at that.
32gig last years model.

dugimodo
27-02-2014, 11:13 AM
A lot of trade me buyers stick things on their watchlist and don't bid until the last few minutes, it's frustrating when you are trying to buy something as well.
Let the Auction run and cross your fingers, things tend to heat up on the last day. I did a search and there are not any cheaper deals on there that I saw so you should be in with a chance.

Then there are those like myself that prefer the certainty of a reasonable buy now than the possibility of a good deal evaporating at the last 2nd. I've missed a couple of deals when someone outbid me in the last 30 secs and I wasn't near a PC to counter and I've hit buy now on things that were a bit more than I'd maybe have bid on an auction.

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Doesn't surprise me, with some semi-decent ones going brand new at Warehouse Stationery for like $140...

Cicero
27-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Doesn't surprise me, with some semi-decent ones going brand new at Warehouse Stationery for like $140...

Yes but Chilling, are they Nexus ?:<)
It's a question of having what a few people want, seems this unit might not be appreciated, what say you Dugi?

zqwerty
27-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Cicero I am going to pm you

dugimodo
27-02-2014, 01:40 PM
I'd say a 2nd hand Nexus 7 for $200 is a better deal than an Acer Iconia (for e.g.) or similar new for approx $140-180 but the difference might not be enough for some people to notice and others just prefer to buy new.

It's a quality piece of kit though and very nice to use, there's 2 of us in the office with them and we are both very happy. My workmate bought one of the cheap Acers for his son for Xmas and it's not bad really, but we both agree our Nexus is that much nicer all round and better quality.

There are cheaper tablets, but nothing that matches the quality for the price. The HP slates might be as well built for example but are much lower specced as are the Iconias. - both are Dual core tablets with lower res screens compared to the quad core Nexus with it's very nice screen.

Webdevguy
27-02-2014, 01:44 PM
I want a 10" unit, so put my 7 on Trade Me for $200,all I seem the be getting is yawning!

Are there any other 7" Nexus phablets on there?

Otherwise to a reserve of $1 and see how the bidding goes.

I'm not aware of how well Android tablets or phones hold their value in the reseller market since they were never targeted at the top end of the market like iPhones and iPads. Lots of them are available new at cheap prices so that would tend to drag the resale value down.

johcar
27-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Are there any other 7" Nexus phablets on there?

Otherwise to a reserve of $1 and see how the bidding goes.

I'm not aware of how well Android tablets or phones hold their value in the reseller market since they were never targeted at the top end of the market like iPhones and iPads. Lots of them are available new at cheap prices so that would tend to drag the resale value down.

Nexus 7 is not a "phablet" - there is no phone component built in (yes, you can install Skype, but that doesn't really cut it as a telephone, since Cicero's version is a wi-fi only machine)

Nexus units were not targetted at the top end of the market - they are designed to appeal to people who want an excellent tablet experience (as I understand you get with iDevices), but without having to spend a freaking fortune (as iDiots do)...

Essentially, the iDevice experience for a fraction of the cost.

Webdevguy
28-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Nexus 7 is not a "phablet" - there is no phone component built in (yes, you can install Skype, but that doesn't really cut it as a telephone, since Cicero's version is a wi-fi only machine)

Nexus units were not targetted at the top end of the market - they are designed to appeal to people who want an excellent tablet experience (as I understand you get with iDevices), but without having to spend a freaking fortune (as iDiots do)...

Essentially, the iDevice experience for a fraction of the cost.

Fair enough, so don't expect a high resale price if you are not willing to pay a higher price for a desirable product in the first place :)

R2x1
28-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Try calling it a Granny smith, put a reserve of $1500 on it and hope that at least one Cupertinist hasn't been totally cleaned out yet. ;)

Webdevguy
28-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Try calling it a Granny smith, put a reserve of $1500 on it and hope that at least one Cupertinist hasn't been totally cleaned out yet. ;)
Chuck $1 reserve on it, that should get some hits :thumbs:

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2014, 01:44 PM
I like the nexus 7, but the snapdragon s4 pro processor is a little outdated.

You mean as outdated as the screen / resolution of the latest iPhone devices that still sell like hotcakes? Or as dated as the CPU that ships with the Moto X?

What about the CPU that's in the PC / Laptop you're writing from, is that "a little outdated"? Hell yeah it is. Point is it doesn't matter, and customers by and large don't really give a ****.
The raw speed of the CPU is rarely why somebody buys a device. If it is, they're a fool, and deserve to be suckered in.

Greg
28-02-2014, 02:19 PM
The raw speed of the CPU is rarely why somebody buys a device.I guess you're referring to tablets and hand-held devices? Personally the first priority for my recent laptop purchase was screen size, followed closely by the power of the Intel i7 quad core chip.

Webdevguy
28-02-2014, 02:19 PM
You mean as outdated as the screen / resolution of the latest iPhone devices that still sell like hotcakes? Or as dated as the CPU that ships with the Moto X?

What about the CPU that's in the PC / Laptop you're writing from, is that "a little outdated"? Hell yeah it is. Point is it doesn't matter, and customers by and large don't really give a ****.
The raw speed of the CPU is rarely why somebody buys a device. If it is, they're a fool, and deserve to be suckered in.

I have to say that I agree with Chill on this one. It's only the 2% of tech nerds that understand or care about enough about tech specs on a phone prior to buying one. The other 98% of consumers (Accountants, trades, nurses, designers, students, lawyers etc) just want a stylish functional phone that they can use socially and at work.

Of those, the ones with more disposable income (usually higher salaries) tend to go for iPhones unless they work in IT depts

and

The ones with less disposable incomes (and IT types irrespective of income level) tend to go for Android phones.

Students often have iPhones because their parents bought it for them, otherwise they will probably have Android phones.

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Personally the first priority for my recent laptop purchase was screen size, followed closely by the power of the Intel i7 quad core chip.

Curious to know what you do where an i5 just wouldn't cut the mustard? Laptops are rarely hardcore gaming devices and where they are, the GPU is almost always the bottleneck.

Greg
28-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Curious to know what you do where an i5 just wouldn't cut the mustard? Laptops are rarely hardcore gaming devices and where they are, the GPU is almost always the bottleneck. My new purchase isn't a game-dedicated machine. I chose it because for my occasional gaming use, portability and decent specs.

Yep the GPU seems to be the real restriction on this machine, but it's the best bang for the buck that I could find, and of course it matches many better spec'd i7 and other Haswell machines. Why wouldn't I buy it given the price.

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Coz it's not about the CPU in that case, the CPU is just a nice bonus ;)

Same point applies to a tablet, you don't buy a Nexus expecting to get an 8-core CPU like Samsung advertise... Or an iPhone, getting more than a dual-core. There's much more out there, but everybody knows that a CPU sits 99% idle so we're well past the point where it really matters in _most_ (not all) instances both in tablets, phones, and PCs.