PDA

View Full Version : Bookmark management in Firefox is rubbish - is it just me?

Agent_24
26-02-2014, 07:15 PM
I've decided to tackle the task of organizing an awful unwieldy pile of bookmarks in Firefox.
I started OK, but then I found two big issues:

1) Trying to alphabetically sort bookmarks does not work. I right-click the folder, click "sort by name" but absolutely nothing happens. It works on the "Bookmarks Toolbar" folder itself, but not on subfolders within it.

2) I cannot rename any of the subfolders I have just created. Seriously? No rename? WTF?

Running latest Firefox v27.0.1, a clean install\fresh profile on a brand new installation of Windows, and have imported the old bookmarks from a backup made yesterday.

Anyone else have this problem?
If so, anything I can do to fix it?

pcuser42
26-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Nope, I hardly use bookmarks. :p

Terry Porritt
26-02-2014, 07:37 PM
I seem to remember a time long long ago when there was an actual Bookmarks Manager that actually worked.

Now it is called Show All Bookmarks, which it does once one has figured out how to do it. Sort by name does work ok with me, but agreed there does not appear to be a rename option.

I have tried every now and then to organise/manage a zillion bookmarks going back nearly 20 years, in folders, subfolders etc , but I usually give up after a few minutes and just live with the mess :)

The best I can do is to delete dead ones

Edit: I like the search function

gary67
26-02-2014, 07:46 PM
I have folders on my bookmarks toolbar with headings such as news, shopping etc. I have just right clicked on the shopping one and said sort by name and it has

coldot
26-02-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm using 27.0.1 and just checked - it will sort alpha up or down, can create new folders and can change names. Not that I use these facilities very much, but they all seem to work perfectly. Maybe you need to reinstall.

Agent_24
26-02-2014, 07:51 PM
I have folders on my bookmarks toolbar with headings such as news, shopping etc. I have just right clicked on the shopping one and said sort by name and it has

Maybe mine has a bug then...

Found the answer to problem #1 though - you have to right click on the folder, choose "Properties" and then you can change the name. Not sure why there is no dedicated rename function!

Agent_24
26-02-2014, 07:54 PM
I'm using 27.0.1 and just checked - it will sort alpha up or down, can create new folders and can change names. Not that I use these facilities very much, but they all seem to work perfectly.

The Library viewer lets me temporarily sort the bookmarks for viewing, but I want to change them permanently on the toolbar itself.

Maybe you need to reinstall.I just did reinstall! :crying

gary67
26-02-2014, 08:29 PM
I can sort mine in the library viewer and they stay sorted on the toolbar

Terry Porritt
26-02-2014, 08:49 PM
I can rename a bookmark by going into Bookmarks, right clicking a folder or bookmark, then - properties and changing the name there, but there doesn't appear to be a rename option from within the bookmark manager ie "Show All Bookmarks"

Webdevguy
26-02-2014, 09:02 PM
I've decided to tackle the task of organizing an awful unwieldy pile of bookmarks in Firefox.
I started OK, but then I found two big issues:

1) Trying to alphabetically sort bookmarks does not work. I right-click the folder, click "sort by name" but absolutely nothing happens. It works on the "Bookmarks Toolbar" folder itself, but not on subfolders within it.

2) I cannot rename any of the subfolders I have just created. Seriously? No rename? WTF?

Running latest Firefox v27.0.1, a clean install\fresh profile on a brand new installation of Windows, and have imported the old bookmarks from a backup made yesterday.

Anyone else have this problem?
If so, anything I can do to fix it?
Book marking in Firefox is not rubbish.

Agent_24
26-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Book marking in Firefox is not rubbish.
Well thank you for your extremely useful response. Your detailed explanation of why it isn't rubbish made me understand exactly what was going wrong, and all my problems with Firefox bookmarks are now magically solved.

Sarcasm aside, I fail to see why their rename function is obscure and backwards, but at least it works, now that I've figured it out.

I cannot say the same for sorting my bookmarks alphabetically, though. I have delved deeper and have noticed the function appears to work on some of the folders but not others. I do not see why. Having never tried to use it before, I am not sure if it's always been like that or perhaps some recent bug, either way it is currently a definite fail, although I still don't know why it is failing.

Agent_24
26-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Problem appears to be solved! - There seems to be something dodgy with my original .JSON bookmarks backup file.

Found this here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bookmarks_history_and_toolbar_buttons_not_working_-_Firefox tried everything, no change, then I got to the bottom where it says "Note: In rare cases, your JSON bookmark backup files may also be damaged"

So I tried exporting the bookmarks as HTML, deleting them all, then re-importing them, and would you know it? I can sort every single bookmark folder now ;)

To verify, I deleted them again, restored from the JSON file and the sorting problem returned. Then I deleted them again, restored from the HTML backup, and the problem went away again.

I don't know what is wrong with the JSON file, some corruption of some kind I guess, specifically what though I have no idea. I guess I'll probably never know. But hopefully this thread may prove useful to someone else in the future. What fun! :p

Digby
27-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Yes I think it sucks. (and I love Firefox and have used it for years)

For a start the book marks manager has a real lame name "Show All Bookmarks"

You need to do most of the work in the windows at the bottom centre of the screen - eg renaming book marks etc)

Sorting is very un-reliable. Especially if you have lots of book marks - It does not Sort!

And if you ever get a book mark appear below that line at the left hand window, it is VERY hard to get it to move above the line.

Lets hope they do some work on it soon.
I hear there is a major makeover of Firefox coming

Agent_24
27-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Sorting is very un-reliable. Especially if you have lots of book marks - It does not Sort!

Maybe you need to try the same thing I did - export as HTML, delete them all and re-import them.

DeSade
27-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Firefox is rubbish - is it just me?

Fixed that for you :)

Agent_24
27-02-2014, 01:50 PM

Fixed that for you :)

I take it you don't like Firefox much?

pcuser42
27-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Yes.

DeSade
27-02-2014, 02:14 PM
I take it you don't like Firefox much?

Not really.
Its become bloated and slow
Right now I prefer Chrome but I am sure it will go the same way eventually.

pcuser42
27-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Not really.
Its become bloated and slow
Right now I prefer Chrome but I am sure it will go the same way eventually.

Well Chrome on Windows 8 thinks it's an operating system so it already has. :p

pctek
27-02-2014, 04:08 PM
I'm using 27.0.1 and just checked - it will sort alpha up or down, can create new folders and can change names. Not that I use these facilities very much, but they all seem to work perfectly. Maybe you need to reinstall.

+1

Although mine are sorted in category rather than A-Z.

Digby
27-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Maybe you need to try the same thing I did - export as HTML, delete them all and re-import them.

Yes, I may try that sometime.
It sounds like it is the answer.
But they should fix it so people don't need to use work arounds like that.
I hope they know about the problem.