PDA

View Full Version : Rosewill RDCR-11003 does not work

Mirddes
26-02-2014, 12:51 PM
worked fine under various linux.

the usb3 port works fine under windows 7 but the card reader does not function.

there are no drivers on the manufactures website (http://www.rosewill.com/products/1926/ProductDetail_Download.htm)

my mum needs the card reader to function so she can transfer photos from her camera's SD card to upload to trademe.

as a work around i have been using my card reader to put the files on a usb stick.

windows is working quite well for her and it would be a shame to have to switch her back to linux as playing games on her pc has been nice.

a switch back to linux might have to be the solution unless the rather friendly bunch of helpful people on this local forum can lend a hand.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Speedy Gonzales
26-02-2014, 01:00 PM
What does the entry for the card reader in device manager say?? Its working or there's a prob with it? Try deleting the entry then reboot. Umm Unless there's an option in the BIOS that needs to be enabled? Go into the BIOS. Does it see it as a USB device ?

dugimodo
26-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Never known a card reader to need drivers installed manually, they usually just appear and work.
Have you changed anything else or Just deleted Linux and installed windows ? and is it up to date?

One not so great workaround would be to install Linux as a dual boot so you can switch to it to upload photos.
Can the camera not connect directly Via USB with a cable?

Agent_24
26-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Did you try looking on Windows update for drivers?

If you can find out the chipset brand you may be able to get drivers from that manufacturer instead of Rosewill

Mirddes
28-02-2014, 12:32 AM
in the device manager there is an "unknown device" and a SM_controller_something (iirc, its in the lounge and too far to bother checking, will get back on that one. completely doubtful it means smartmedia as the reader lacks this ancient medium.)

automated checking for drivers fails on both devices and as the card reader fails to work and is the only devices that fails to work im not entirely sure which device it is.

will open it up and see if i can locate a chipset name later today

the camera can connect directly with the correct cable however it is not mini or micro usb, it seems to be propriotary and there may infact be a cable in a box somewhere, will hunt it out in the morning

dvd drive didn't seem to function under linux.

i guess no operating system is perfect however i would like all of the hardware to function. with

Agent_24
28-02-2014, 01:11 AM
in the device manager there is an "unknown device" and a SM_controller_something (iirc, its in the lounge and too far to bother checking, will get back on that one. completely doubtful it means smartmedia as the reader lacks this ancient medium.)
Probably SMBus controller. System Management Bus. You may find 'drivers' from your motherboard maker. (not really needed)

automated checking for drivers fails on both devices and as the card reader fails to work and is the only devices that fails to work im not entirely sure which device it is.Try this: http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html or in device manager go to device properties -> Details -> Hardware IDs and post them here, should be easy to find out what it is.

will open it up and see if i can locate a chipset name later today
lsusb command in Linux might tell you something useful, or the program already mentioned

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2014, 07:36 AM
Dbl click on the unknown device, go to the details tab change it to hardware ids. Copy and paste some of the lines in here. Then we'll know what it is. Or if its online install teamviewer. I can check it out from here