PDA

View Full Version : Seagate HDD warranty

SP8's
25-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Hi peoples

Have a 500GB Seagate Monumentus 5400.6 HDD out of a Gateway lappy which is around 18months old and starting to scramble things on startup.

Downloaded Seatools and ran it ... got the fail notice below

Tried checking on the warranty but it's OEM and won't tell me whether it's in or out of warranty. If anyone can help with some advice as to what I should do next, I'd appreciate it. I haven't been back to the place it was purchased yet, I wanted to get more information before doing so.

TIA
SP8's

25-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Is this the HD that came with the lappy ?
OEM hd's may not have the same warranty as HD's sold retail. OEM warranty may also have to through Gateway.

easiest : take it back to where it was bought .
But, many retailers(with the cheapest prices) only give 1 year warranty, no matter what manufactures warranty actually is.
You could easily demand replacement under the CGA though, its only been 18 months . You may have to fight tooth & nail for it.

Also , how much is your time & effort worth, if you get nowhere with the retailer ?
it may end up being easier to bite the bullet & buy a new one(they are cheap) , rather than spend hours, days , weeks, trying to somehow get a warranty replacement on that drive.

pctek
25-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Tried checking on the warranty but it's OEM and won't tell me whether it's in or out of warranty.
It should anyway.......I've always had that work on whatever drive it is - even ones out of HP laptops etc...
In that case it normally says OEM - Out of Warranty because they only get one year, but it should still say.

SP8's
25-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Tried it several times pctek ... no luck with warranty details. Just trying to find out where it was purchased from, it's a mates girlfriend and their not talking to each other at the moment so could be a while !

1101 ... yep, agree with your comments as well and yes, the drive is the original which came with the lappy.

CYaBro
25-02-2014, 01:34 PM
As already noted any hdd from a laptop will only be covered by the warranty of the laptop itself, which in most cases is only 1 year.
You could have a case under the CGA but you would have to take the whole laptop back to the original place of purchase, possibly with the proof of purchase as well.
Make sure you backup any data first, if possible.