PDA

View Full Version : Removing programs that launch at startup

11-12-2001, 06:39 AM
Comes under the heading of 'I did know, but I've forgotten,' and Microsoft Help is, as ever, no help at all, because I haven't found exactly the same phrase as they use to describe these things.

How do I stop some of the set of programs that launch every time I start the machine from so launching?

MOST of them have icons on the right-hand end of the taskbar.

One, however, a picture-managing application apparently built into the Windows Me OS, and represented by a 'brushed aluminium' slightly curved panel with a set of coloured rectangles on it, does not seem to be represented on the end of the bar - but nevertheless starts up every time I start the machine.

How do I stop it and others from starting up automatically, and retain only the applications I WANT to start automatically, like my firewall?

11-12-2001, 07:15 AM
I use a small program (528 KB) called 'Startup Cop' which is supplied my 'ZDNet' for free. You can choose which programs you want to start and also set up profiles for different configurations.
If you are using Windows ME you can also go into start/programs/accesories/system tools/system information and choose system configuration utility under tools.

If you want to download Startup cop just go to www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,77594,00.html and this should give you the program details and download point.

Hope this helps
David Slater

11-12-2001, 08:11 AM
Go to Start, Run, type msconfig, choose the Startup tab and away you go!

14-12-2001, 01:41 AM
I too use/like StartupCop, just one of many handy utilities to manage this area.

And here is a useful list to explain just WHAT many of those 'startup' critters actually ARE:-
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

Cheers. ???