PDA

View Full Version : How do I do a search on the web for the most recent ?

Misty
20-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Greetings
I have been searching fruitlessly for the most recent information on a subject (for info - about the backlash concerning Adobe putting their stuff on Creative Cloud). Unfortunately I get most responses that are about how things were a year ago, early 2013. That is now completely useless, because things have moved on appreciatively.

Have checked out how to phrase, expand, limit my searches, but there seems no way, that I can locate, to limit my search to comments or reports, or whatever, completed just this year. Very frustrating ! Have tried entering 2014 but that still produces all kinds of stuff, 2013, 2012.

Does not seem that using a particular search engine gives better results, though must admit, have only tried Google and Duckduckgo.

What can I do please to narrow my search to just results that are meaningful today! :illogical

Many thanks in anticipation
Jim

wainuitech
20-02-2014, 06:11 PM
using Google: type in the subject and wording ( that alone can bring up different results),See Picture below, says it better :) BUT what you get wont always relate to what you are searching for.

The "key" is to search using the right terms /words.

Webdevguy
20-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Greetings
I have been searching fruitlessly for the most recent information on a subject (for info - about the backlash concerning Adobe putting their stuff on Creative Cloud). Unfortunately I get most responses that are about how things were a year ago, early 2013. That is now completely useless, because things have moved on appreciatively.

Have checked out how to phrase, expand, limit my searches, but there seems no way, that I can locate, to limit my search to comments or reports, or whatever, completed just this year. Very frustrating ! Have tried entering 2014 but that still produces all kinds of stuff, 2013, 2012.

Does not seem that using a particular search engine gives better results, though must admit, have only tried Google and Duckduckgo.

What can I do please to narrow my search to just results that are meaningful today! :illogical

Many thanks in anticipation
Jim
Are you currently using Creative Cloud or are you considering it?

Misty
20-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Hi wainuitech
Tried to follow you suggestion and had initial difficulties, as I encountered a different screen. See below

However I then after a little while tried Advanced Search and found out how to do as you suggest from that screen :clap
Many thanks
Jim :)

Misty
20-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Hi Webdevguy
Certainly not considering at the moment, at all. Nevertheless as we are currently using Elements 11, though any real concerns about a move to the cloud are fairly mild.
We teach Elements 11 at SeniorNet (Glenfield) and as a backstop are looking at Darktable (also possibly GIMP, though I have strong reservations about that - especially training resources).
Thanks for your interest
Jim

wainuitech
20-02-2014, 08:46 PM
This may be completely off track, but when you mentioned Gimp ----- Giveawayoftheday was giving away the pro version of StylePix Pro.

The giveaway has now closed but they do have a free version which according to some reviews is better than Gimp, Screenshots (http://hornil.com/en/products/stylepix/Screenshots.html) Download links at bottom of page. Meant to have good support, forums and manuals.:2cents:

Misty
21-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Many thanks for that wainuitech, we will certainly have a good look at it ! :thumbs:
Jim

Misty
21-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Hi Wainuitech
We have had a look at it. On the plus side it does support layers. However, and this is an absolute must for us .............. it does not process RAW. Pity ! :(
Jim