PDA

View Full Version : Whatyamacallits for installing CD-RW drive

10-12-2001, 09:40 PM
Just got my CD-RW today. Unplugged all the snakes, strapped up with the anti-static strap, stripped the case off the PC, went to slide the writer into its new home... but there's nothing to hold it in!

Duh, why didn't they include, or at least tell me I need whatyamacallits?

Yeah, so what ARE they called? Mounting brackets? Rails? Or something else I haven't thought of? And are they a standard size or do I need to take measurements?

Want to get it right this time, so it would help if I know what to ask for when I sail in to the PC shop tomorrow :-)

PS Where's the best place in ChCh to get some?

10-12-2001, 10:25 PM
Susan

Usually they are called mounting rails or brackets but you shouldn't need them for a CD writer. Is it a standard size? Must be.

Have you got a weird PC? IE not industry standard? If so, you'll need to contact the manifacturer, probably. Compaq can be a pain, IBM are usually okay, not sure about HP.

Sometimes, I get naughty and just screw it into one side and let the other one float free (bad, I know). Done this with 3.5 inch hard disks in 5 inch bays.

Robo.

10-12-2001, 10:54 PM
Uh-ohhh...

I wouldn't know if the PC is a weird one or not -- it's a PC Direct Discovery 690, 3? yrs old and I have noticed that it does have a vast, empty interior! Also that the CD-ROM and hard drive have mounting rails so it's not the CD writer's fault.

Please tell me that mounting rails are standard sized... !

11-12-2001, 01:34 AM
Pay a visit to Dick Smiths they should have what you need. I had the same problem and DSE had them on the shelf.

11-12-2001, 03:05 AM
You could just remove your cd rom and replace it with the burner you dont really need it as such.
I just have a dvd rom plus a burner myself .

11-12-2001, 03:53 AM
Pc Direct cases are known for these lovely mounting rails. I have 2 Pc Direct cases and both have them. They are bloody great as it saves screwing things like CD-ROM drives in. The sad thing is hardly any other cases use them, which is a pity. I have asked about them at computer shops and have received some very strange looks.
So good luck in your hunt!