PDA

View Full Version : 27" gaming IPS monitor

zennoukinkai
14-02-2014, 11:15 AM
So guys, I have recently decided that I wanted to upgrade my current 22" monitor of 6 years. Its a samsung syncmaster 226BW, it has served me well but recetly been playing up.

Now I have decided to go for a 27" full hd panel. I don't want to go above full hd as I see no point. Consoles have only just reached true hd resolution and I don't see this increasing any time soon. I watch a lot of movies and tv shows through netflix quite a bit. I also game a lot on PC and plan on getting a ps4 towards the 3rd quarter of this year. I have found 2 panels that seem good but unsure on their quality compared to each other. What I really want to know is what you guys think of these monitors and which one of the two I should get?

Asus MX279H and LG 27EA63V-P

Thanks heaps guys, appreciate it.

Slankydudl
14-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Neither of those monitors are considered gaming monitors.... Generally the higher the panel quality the worse it is for games.... Unless your spending mega bucks then you cant really get a quality picture from a gaming monitor as they use cheap panels that have very fast response times. For instance my $150 asus screen has a response time of 1ms whereas those more expensive panels with higher image quality have a response of 5ms which is usually not considered ideal for gaming.

zennoukinkai
14-02-2014, 12:19 PM
My current monitor is 2ms and I know that its said that monitors are not ideal at 5ms but I can go back to my ancient 17" lcd which is at 8ms and not really see much of a difference apart from the colour, slight ghosting/light bleed and obviously larger display. I don't play competitively and so it doesn't bother me at all, I only game for fun and leisure. My flat mate has an acer g24 and by far it has the best colour I have seen to date on a TN panel. I've been jealous for a while now hahaha. (Which is why I want vibrant colours)

14-02-2014, 12:29 PM
http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/
test your reaction time. :)

There will be some BS in manufacturers stated response time, perhaps alot of BS
Response time will vary greatly depending on how its actually being measured
Manufacturers can & do change to a different panel for the same model no as time goes on. My Samsung 22" was reviewed as being excellent
for gaming , Samsung changed the panel during the production run(3x) & the Monitor I bought was no where near as nice as the earlier version of the same model.

"... the 2ms time is Gray to Gray. You will never be able to get that low during normal use and gaming."
"If it is gaming your planning on with this monitor then I suggest that you look at input lag instead of response time since it is a real world measurement while response time is somewhat of a marketing ploy with no real world value (grey to grey)...."

zennoukinkai
14-02-2014, 01:14 PM
My reaction time is 232 :)

also found a website that has an input lag database: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

The asus is at 9ms and lg at 10ms
How is this compared to other gaming monitors and how big a difference would this really be in real world use?

dugimodo
14-02-2014, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned myself. Competitive gamers may benefit from fast response times but my aging LCD's are not rated any better than many current IPS models and I've never noticed an issue with it. I've been considering going to an IPS myself. I have an older 27" AOC LCD and a 24" Samsung TV that I use as a 2nd monitor with response times claimed at around 5ms that I game on all the time. Some advocate higher refresh rates also, but 60 is fine with me.

One note, when I first when from 22" to 27" it seemed ridiculously big and I pushed it all the way to the back of my desk. You quickly get used to it though and it's moved back to where the old monitor was :)

zennoukinkai
14-02-2014, 02:18 PM
@Dugimodo
This is exactly what im thinking so its really between the two monitors.
__________________________________________________ ______________________

I don't know if stores let you test these monitors, so im trying to get as many opinions as I can on the two of them.

pctek
14-02-2014, 02:20 PM

zennoukinkai
14-02-2014, 03:57 PM
@ pctek

I see the humor in that, and I only have a PC, but seeing as I also want to jump in on this generation of consoles I want a monitor that does it all and still feels/looks good. So in short, unsure of your point :/

Agent_24
14-02-2014, 04:13 PM
http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/
test your reaction time. :)

What does that have to do with monitors?