PDA

View Full Version : SPEEDY MODEM!!!

10-12-2001, 07:53 PM
Hi, now this is something that I can't even believe mysef but a couple of days ago my internet connection using a internal 56k modem was just downloading at normal speed eg. 4.54KB/s.
I havn't had my PC that long (which i built myself) and I'm now starting to download at upto 25.5KB/s!!!!!Woohoo!!
Now, I dont know if its Xtra or my modem or computer is doing this, but its been going fast since yesterday, and I had just changed my OS from Win98 to WinME. My system is a Celeron 333, 128MB RAM, 4.3GB HD, and a HCF Modem. Does anyone know how this can happen? Hope it stays like this :)

10-12-2001, 08:14 PM
Theoretically impossible, but....
Similar thing happened to me shortly after installing a 56k x2 modem when I had an IBM connection a few years ago. Binary files were coming down from Simtel at about 15KBps. Some were corrupted, others about 1MB size were ok. This wasnt just the start of download speed measuring errors you get, that speed went the whole file. No explanation, and no-one believed me.
It makes you think...

10-12-2001, 08:17 PM
You are right not to believe it. That number is a number calculated in your OS. It is not a file transfer rate.

It is probably a measure of the speed at which the OS can move data to and from the modem card.

What determines the file transfer rate is the international standard which the modem conforms to. If it did not meet the standard it could not transfer anything, because it could not communicate with the modem at your ISP.

That 56k bits/sec is a *maximum*. The only way the file transfer speed can go from that is downwards, depending on the telephone line quality and the various delays and bottlenecks in the Internet. Thus your normal 4.54kB/s. Because there are 10 bits transmitted per byte, that corresponds to an average speed of 45.4k bits/s which looks pretty good.

That's probably what you are getting now. Try timing a transfer. With your watch.

Sorry about that; this is the real world. And it's not fair.

10-12-2001, 08:33 PM
Its hard to understand, the downloads are no less than 20MB that I download.
Ive been watching as they download and it is defenitly downloading at around 20KB/s.
When i check the file after its finished, its the exact size as it was suppose to be.
In other words, a 50MB file i downloaded this morning only took about less than 1 hour or so and usually when it would transfer at 4.56KB/s it would take me over 2hours.
I also dont get any error messages.
Its very weird indead.

11-12-2001, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I've downloaded @ around 9.8k on my USR56kISA, connected at 52,000 for a whole file transfer, of about 3 meg, and it was that fast, I timed it, and watched the kb's go up, up, up.

11-12-2001, 07:00 PM
I suppose that the files giving these WOW experiences are movie or sound files. They are unlikely (at 20 -50 MB) to be text files (which can give very impressive compression results).

Will someone compress (with ZIP or something) one of these files, and tell us how much smaller the compressed one is?

That ratio will show how much improvement you can get over the *ABSOLUTE PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO EXCEED* bit rate of a pair of modems (meeting the same international standard) on a telephone link, by using compression in the modems.

The modem technology *has* been 'tweaked'. It is a bloody miracle to get that rate: 56k bits/sec on a 2400 baud line. Even most of the time.