PDA

View Full Version : Red Vertical stripes

bk T
13-02-2014, 10:22 AM
MB: Asus P8Z77-V LX
Display card: HD7850

When turning ON, stripes of vertical red lines on screen, swapped monitor produces same results. Suspected faulty video card, put in another video card works just fine. Can I confirm it's a faulty video card?

Removed the video card, plugged in the monitor to the on-board vga out-put - system won't boot with long beep. Faulty on-board VGA as well??

bk T
13-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Beep code when plugged in to onboard VGA: one long+3 short.

wainuitech
13-02-2014, 02:05 PM
You may need to put the card back in and reset the BIOS to boot from onboard first. Then turn off, remove the card and attach to onboard. it "Should" auto detect but stranger things have happened.

Have you got another card to try ?

bk T
13-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Yes. I've got a spare card (older, though).

Couldn't find anything to set it to boot from on board first.

wainuitech
13-02-2014, 06:58 PM
An older card doesn't matter as long as its compatible with the motherboard. All its doing is testing if its the actual card. If you get the same stripes on a known good card then it could be the motherboard giving problems with the graphic circuits ( in non technical terms).

IF you had another computer to put the original card into and that did the same thing then its the card at fault.

bk T
13-02-2014, 08:36 PM
The 'new' card works perfectly with this machine.

Tested the suspect 'faulty' card in another PC produces same results I therefore would confirm that it IS faulty.

Agent_24
14-02-2014, 01:38 PM
The card likely has stuffed VRAM.