PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling OS

10-12-2001, 03:55 PM
Firstly if I reinstall Windows 98 SE onto my computer will it wipe any of my saved data or corrupt programs/applications? I want to reinstall it but I don't know how it will affect everything.

I have attempted to run the Win 98 SE installation setup to see what options it gave me. It scans my drive C: and then prepares to load the Setup Wizard program to guide me through installation and then suddenly an error window pops up saying: 'Your computer already has an operating system installed, which cannot be upgraded by this version of Setup. You need to obtain the Windows 98 upgrade. -Message SUO168'

I have obtained a service pack from the Microsoft website and critical update downloads also, but this has not helped at all.

How do I reinstall my OS and what are the consequences?

10-12-2001, 07:09 PM
Hi James..... are you trying to reinstall 98SE, or have you got another OS.... it might help to tell us a little of what you have already got, and if you have 98SE, why you are trying to reinstall it... RINGO

11-12-2001, 11:15 AM
To RINGO: I curreently have windows 98 installed on my computer but I want to install windows 98 SE. I have updated my current OS so that it is just as good as SE...I think.

I want to install windows 98 SE because as I mentioned in one of my earlier postings, my friend has managed to corrupt system files on my computer. Despite this, when I run a scan for corrupted system files on my computer the scan reports no corruption. But then again (refer to my previous posting for more info) I am unable to play Windows Media Player (any version) as I recieve the error: 'The QUARTZ.DLL file is linked to a missing export WINMM.DLL.timeKillEventEx'

This error only occurs when I try to play earlier versions than 7.1 (I cannot even open the program). I am able to open wmp 7.1 but it will not play any media files at all.

Various websites have told me that in my unfortunate situation, I need to reinstall my OS. Thus, my problem.

If there is any other way please tell me.