PDA

View Full Version : Password control on print jobs

10-12-2001, 01:04 PM
I am trying to find a free, or inexpensive program that can be used to put up a password screen when a user tries to print, The printers have print servers on them and the workstations print directly to it. To control the use of the printers I am looking for a way to give only teachers the authority to print. You can imagine how many times a five year old presses print when there is no immediate respose to the first press.

10-12-2001, 04:12 PM
Can you simply make the printer drivers 'print' to a disk file? The the teacher can copy the printfiles to a printer.

Depending on the OS, type of network, there might be another way. More information would be helpful.

10-12-2001, 04:22 PM
Hello Mike,

Have a look at the following link, should be something ther to meet your needs, all supposed to be freeware as well ( I have'nt tried them all to find out)
http://www.sover.net/~whoi/Security.html

Regards

Alan

10-12-2001, 05:11 PM
As the others have said more info would be nice but a quick and simple way is to have the printer paused. When the teacher (or student) print is queued until the job is unpaused. All the ones that aren't meant to be printed can be deleted. Got to be quicker than a password?

10-12-2001, 07:31 PM
Unitec have set something up in the computer labs. Highly complex involving money on student cards (Really great when you're running late for a class and haven't met the system before!).

From what I gathered in my quick 2 minutes look the job prints to a seperate machine and will not print till the lab supervisor presses go (or the card is swiped).

You could ask them what they use. It's probable it can be set without the money side.

School of Information Systems and Computing.