PDA

View Full Version : ADSL

10-12-2001, 12:17 PM
As an addition to an earlier post about ADSL modems I wonder if anyone could provide a list of ADSL modems (such as the Nokia M1122) that are 'always on' as against ones that have to be initiated via dial up networking. Cheers DW

10-12-2001, 12:33 PM
Not a List - but something worth considering is the suseptability of some external ASDL modems, Nokia included, to tripping off-line when exposed to stray RF signals from a cordless phone. The Telecom contracted Installation Technician's external Nokia ASDL Modem lost the connection every time my cordless phone was picked up. A problem I never have with my internal (Dynalink) ASDL Modem.

10-12-2001, 07:52 PM
Hi PJ,

I must say your case is the exception not the rule. The M1122 is a fine piece of kit and I would recommend it for those on low quality lines, or those who live a long distance from the exchange.

DW,

I suggest you check out the NZ ADSL mailing list archives over at www.unixathome.org to get an impression of the products available. In fact, I would suggest you subscribe to the mailing list for a couple of weeks to really get an idea of what to expect from the service.