PDA

View Full Version : poor internet transfer rates via xtra and telecom

09-12-2001, 11:01 PM
I moved to Te Anau from Fox Glacier on the West Coast 3 months ago. There I was using Xtra as my ISP and achieving consistent data transfer rates of 3-4Kbytes/s. Not bad for a phone system that uses a radio link! Now in Te Anau I have found the transfer rates to be nothing short of ridiculous. Tonight I have been trying to upload photographs. I have been averaging 700 bytes/s and thats when data is transfering! In between short burst of data transfer I get long periods(up to 2 mins) where no data transfers then there will be a very short period of data transfer followed by another frustrating lull in activity. This makes the internet literally a waste of time. I have had telecom check my connection - no probelm. I have had xtra check my modem settings. They knocked the buffers down to cope with the 'slow rural connection'. I understand from others that there is fibreoptic cable into town but the problem exist elsewhere within Telecom or Xtras local network provision. I also understand this slow connection and long transfer pauses is fairly standard for this town. With Telecom blaming Xtra and Xtra blaming Telecom I am looking for advice on alternative solutions (not Ihug as you still need to use the dial up for uploading)and some email address of people further up the Telcom and Xtra food chain who may be interested in why they cannot provide even a very basic internet service. Is changing to another ISP such as Paradise the answer or are they likely to be using the same network as Xtra? I am using a 56K external modem.
thanks for your help
Tony Preston
Te Anau

09-12-2001, 11:50 PM
borrow a mates acc for a day and test with that or ring paradise and see if you can do a trail, at worse pay for a month. test download speeds from known sites.

if both are shocking then look at phonelines and your connections in the house.

if still no joy try a trace program like neotrace so you can see the connections in between you and the isp. you should be able to ping the isp and get reults from each server. see if one or more are very slow. also check how much packet loss you are getting. this will give you something to show telecom/isp.

10-12-2001, 10:44 AM
Neotrace is a good program but with Ping Plotter you get a graph of the trip and can easily see where the bottlenecks are.

10-12-2001, 05:04 PM
where do i get ping plotter
thanks

Tsingtao
06-11-2003, 01:24 PM
download ping plotter here
http://www.pcworld.co.nz/srchsite.nsf/Results/8D4FB81828D1CFEECC256DD60001708D?OpenDocument&ping+plotter

Kame
06-11-2003, 01:31 PM
Well if anyone is interested in ping plotter there's the link.

Now we are definitely reliving history.

Jim B
06-11-2003, 01:46 PM
Are you aware this thread was started Dec 2001