PDA

View Full Version : telecom technicolor tg582n as access points

Mirddes
12-01-2014, 10:56 PM
http://wiki.aa.org.uk/Category:Router_TG582N

i have 2 of these and would like to have them function as a switch/accesspoints.

i have a dynalink rta1320v6 modem connected to the WAN port on a pfsense firewall.

i have a netcomm NP805N router as my sole access point and would like to supplement its range by running an ethernet cable to each of the tg582N routers.

IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Mirddes
12-01-2014, 11:18 PM
i also have a netcomm nb304n which i would be delighted to give the same treatment. this however has a runaway powerbrick. 12v/1.5A. (ITS MIA)

Mirddes
12-01-2014, 11:45 PM
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1768153#r30894422

this post looks most helpful

however; i am clueless as to teh telnets

stuff like this http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=92 makes me happy as it confirms past knowledge

ive done this with another router in the past. a netgear back in 2008; worked reasonably well. these are however different beasts with their adsl modems and almost free status.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2014, 10:12 AM
What they're talking about is changing the DHCP server settings in the Technicolor router. AFAIK these routers do not support what you're wanting to do. You're better off getting a dedicated access point for the job.

I know the NB304N most certainly does not.

Mirddes
13-01-2014, 11:22 AM
What they're talking about is changing the DHCP server settings in the Technicolor router. AFAIK these routers do not support what you're wanting to do. You're better off getting a dedicated access point for the job.

I know the NB304N most certainly does not.

dhcp disabled = access point

are you absolutely certian disable of the dhcp is impossible?

Mirddes
13-01-2014, 11:38 AM
it seems dhcp on the nb304n is trivial to disable

http://media.netcomm.com.au/public/assets/pdf_file/0004/123853/NB304n-DHCPLease.pdf

now for those technicolors

Mirddes
13-01-2014, 11:42 AM
telecom documentation makes this also seem trivial. they even document how to do it over telnet.

http://help.telecom.co.nz/ci/fattach/get/5042877/1321574458/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzg5NTcwMDUxL3NpZC9oZ1ExRmRLbA==/filename/Changing-the-TG582n-Network-Settings.pdf

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2014, 11:45 AM
dhcp disabled = access point

are you absolutely certian disable of the dhcp is impossible?

Sort of. DHCP disabled means just that: DHCP is disabled, and it expects another DHCP server to be on the LAN there or for you to statically assign all IP addresses.

It will still do it's damned best to route *everything* out its WAN port (DSL) even if it's not up, as far as I'm aware, as the bridging of WiFi -> LAN broke when DHCP was disabled. It was about 18 months ago though, who knows, they may have fixed that.

Mirddes
13-01-2014, 12:10 PM
seems illogical to route between wlan and lan as thats all the same subnet.

pfsense has a really good dhcp server.

the document details that usb file/printer sharing breaks when dhcp is disabled. but can be reimplmented when dhcp is reenabled with a new pool. - not that this feature matters

WHOA

"np805n dd-wrt" google suggest these search terms. could be quite promising --- some wireless meshing would be very nice indeed.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86305

GOTTA BUILD A NEW INTERNET TO SET AN EXAMPLE FOR OTHERS>>> if i can do it anyone can and we can all join forces for communal internet

Mirddes
13-01-2014, 01:20 PM
anyhow, cable to the neighbour reaches from my laundry to his laundry.

a router at each end should provide decent backyard coverage.

13-01-2014, 01:53 PM
anyhow, cable to the neighbour reaches from my laundry to his laundry.

a router at each end should provide decent backyard coverage.

earth loops & voltage differential between your earth & his.
magic smoke...... could happen....... should be OK. :2cents:
Wifi would be safer

Mirddes
13-01-2014, 02:01 PM
earth loops and voltage differential?

OH http://www.bapihvac.com/content/uploads/2010/07/understanding-ground-loops.pdf

so potentially very bad; potentially a non issue

if i had the equipment to create a wireless mesh without running all these cables i would be very happy indeed.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2014, 03:40 PM
There was a bloke on TradeMe a while back who sold open-mesh routers real cheap. They were cool!

http://www.open-mesh.com/

Mirddes
13-01-2014, 11:21 PM
some wrt olsr would be enough for my needs. seems most routers capable of being flashed with wrt should fit the bill; dual, preferably removable, antenna.

very nice success story showing the promise of meshing

http://www.open-mesh.com/westin-grand-vancouver/

from the article

--------------------------
The Westin Grand Vancouver is a 210-room, four-star hotel reaching 33 stories above Vancouver, British Columbia. The hotel's downtown location puts guests in the centre of the shops, theatres, vibrant nightlife and dozens of world-class restaurants on famed Robson Street.

Despite the world-class location and service, Mark Abbott, the hotel’s IT Director, found the hotel’s Internet service increasingly falling short of guest expectations. The existing system suffered from slow speeds, spotty coverage, and a slow, non-branded login process that left guests with a poor initial experience.

Faced with large capital costs to expand or repair their existing system, Abbott reached out to Liveport, a hospitality WiFi service provider, to present a solution.

Liveport replaced Westin’s outdated system with Open-Mesh 802.11n access points and Open-Mesh’s cloud-hosted network controller, CloudTrax. Approximately 40 access points were wired in as gateways, with an additional 15 power-only repeaters used to fill in coverage gaps where cables weren’t available. The devices automatically self-organized to provide a seamless wireless network throughout all guest rooms, conference spaces and common areas. Liveport also installed an Open-Mesh unit to manage wired traffic authentication and bandwidth caps in guest rooms.

Without the need to run new cables or upgrade on-site servers and switches, Abbott said the switch saved the hotel about $65,000 in the first year.

Abbott immediately saw a massive increase in usage as coverage improved and network bottlenecks were eliminated. Support call volume was reduced by 75% and guest complaints were virtually eliminated.

“That makes it a great success,” said Abbott.

Abbott was first drawn to Liveport’s low all-inclusive pricing, but realized that the Open-Mesh hardware and cloud controller offered him far more in terms of options and flexibility than the much higher-priced system and service provider he was replacing.

With the cloud controller, Abbott could now see what was happening with each individual access point and how much usage the entire network was getting any time he wanted from his laptop or smart phone.

He could also segregate user devices, providing each guest with a secure tunnel to the Internet.

"Support call volume was reduced by 75% and guest complaints were virtually eliminated."

With the cloud controller, Liveport enabled a branded splash page for guest authentication—which was much faster than the old system—and allowed staff to create and manage voucher codes. With the codes, the hotel could create custom group codes and set access to certain time periods, bandwidth tiers, and number of devices. The same code can be used on both the wired and wireless networks.

“Guests at this level of property expect a very high quality wireless network—especially when paying for access,” said Danny Bakker, Vice President of Liveport. “With Open-Mesh, we can deliver on those expectations, and do it at a price point that really makes sense for a hotel of any size.”

“The quality of the network experience now matches that of the rest of their stay,” said Abbott, who plans to deploy Open-Mesh systems with Liveport at his other properties.

“I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to anyone,” he said.
--------------------------

Nomad
13-01-2014, 11:46 PM
I was given a Technicolor (sp?) ADSL router, no disable DHCP option not sure if you can un-Telecom OEM it.

Mirddes
14-01-2014, 12:41 AM
its supposed to be possible with telnet; im gonna end up giving it a go in the next few days as ive gotta mess with lots of my equipment to transition from vodafone to orcon

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Good luck! :)

Mirddes
14-01-2014, 10:29 AM
so what is the deal with wds? everthing these days except the technicolor supports this.

from what wikipedia says it sounds like much less cables

repeater access points even. thats like almost mesh.

has anyone dealt with this standard sucessfully?

wratterus
14-01-2014, 10:42 AM
It's not really a standard, often isn't that reliable and different brands often don't agree on it.

Far better off using a dedicated PtP link (like two Ubiquiti LocoM5 Radios). If you really must do repeating, something like openmesh, or routers running DD-WRT are better.

Mirddes
14-01-2014, 11:29 AM
if only everything could run dd-wrt

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2014, 12:07 PM
if only everything could run dd-wrt

*OpenWRT.
DD-WRT is a custom build of OpenWRT that includes their own stuff, and they've done a few 'controversial' things in their past that have made a significant number of people boycott them.

Mirddes
14-01-2014, 01:36 PM
such as?

Mirddes
14-01-2014, 02:58 PM
but be the existence of a paid version; that did it for me with plenty of software

Mirddes
17-01-2014, 04:39 PM
but be the existence of a paid version; that did it for me with plenty of software

has anyone had much experience with wds?

Mirddes
18-01-2014, 03:11 AM
change of ip and wlan settings and disable of dhcp on all devices was accomplished

problem; only 2 power cables. where to get additional cheap psu for technicolor and netcomm?

look forward to exploring wds

zqwerty
18-01-2014, 05:53 AM
Try: http://www.molten.org.nz/

Mirddes
18-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Try: http://www.molten.org.nz/

tried ringing them but got no response; flicked them an email through their contact form.

to bury the cables between the houses seems like a huge hassle with the driveway and various paths providing no direct line of dirt.

oos might be the best option but a cable omg that would be nice. even if ROUTE WAs possible direct burial cables are not cheap.

is 1mbit per device for $10 a month + $1 per additional device an ethical pricepoint to be reselling my unlimited connection at?

Chilling_Silence
18-01-2014, 08:32 PM
If you can easily restrict bandwidth, you can do whatever you want, but you naturally become responsible if somebody you're reselling your connection to pirates media and gets you "caught". Not to mention that the taxman (IRD?) probably would want to know if you're profiting reselling your internet.

Mirddes
19-01-2014, 09:41 AM
If you can easily restrict bandwidth, you can do whatever you want, but you naturally become responsible if somebody you're reselling your connection to pirates media and gets you "caught". Not to mention that the taxman (IRD?) probably would want to know if you're profiting reselling your internet.

i dont want to profit. i just want a free unlimited connection.

apparently vdsl/ufb wont be available on my street until 2016 so i have a choice between orcon unlimited and very limited vodafone cable.

not much of a choice really.

1. SYSTEM ABUSE

1.1 Any abuse of our systems ("system abuse") is strictly prohibited. System abuse includes (but is not limited to) the following actions:
Attempting to access the Internet from two locations at the same time.
Attempting to circumvent user authentication or security of any host, network, or account on our Internet systems or the Internet at large (ie "hacking").
Attempting, in any way, to interfere with or deny service to any user or any host on the Internet. This includes, but is not limited to the spawning of an excessive number of processes, consuming excessive amounts of memory, central processor time, hard disk storage space, or abusing any general system resources.
Port scanning or investigating network configuration without the permission of the individual or company involved.
Harassing another person, whether through language, frequency, or size of messages.
Sending multiple unsolicited emails ("spam") to single or multiple users including advertising emails.
Forwarding or posting "chain letters" (multiple forwarding) of any type.
Adding or attempting to add addresses to any mailing list without the express consent of the relevant addressees (in breach of the Privacy Act 1993 or the Unsolicited Commercial Electronic Messages Act 2007).
Using an Orcon account or network connection to collect replies to messages sent from another provider which violate these rules or those of that provider.
Introducing anything harmful or destructive (such as viruses, worms, Trojan horses, time bombs or bots) to, or interfere in any way with, our or anyone else's computer system or communications services.
Forging email or USENET posting header information.
Creating or using a false identity for the purpose of misleading others as to the identity of the sender or origin of any message.
Posting inappropriate messages to USENET newsgroups, for example posting large numbers of unsolicited posts indiscriminately ("spamming"), or posting encoded binary files to USENET newsgroups not specifically named for that purpose.
Posting messages on our website that use inappropriate language or expressions of bigotry or hatred.
Attempting to cancel, supersede, or otherwise interfere with any email or USENET posts that is not your own.
Using an account with another provider to promote an Orcon website in an abusive manner.
Reselling Orcon services to third parties that do not abide by these guidelines.
1.2 If we consider that you have engaged in system abuse, we may (at our discretion) take all or any the following actions:
warn you about your actions;
terminate, suspend or make changes to your service;
charge you for the costs we incur in relation to your system abuse;
pass on information concerning your activities to any relevant authorities.
If we terminate your services as a result of your system abuse, we will not be liable for any loss, damage or expenses that you suffer as a result.

im glad orcon allows the reselling of their services

Chilling_Silence
19-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Oh yeah coz they know they can't stop you. Im not talking about Orcon or Vodafone though :p

Mirddes
19-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Oh yeah coz they know they can't stop you. Im not talking about Orcon or Vodafone though :p

im sure the IRD doesn't care about an autistic man on an invalids benefit getting free internet because he shared it with a half dozen neighboring houses

they are probably as interested as i am in the performance statistics that will develop between now and faster internet.

with 12 devices connected i wonder how slow it will get before it jumps from 16mbit to 70mbit.
if all goes well the faster slightly more expensive service ($119 vs $99) will become free not long after i get it.

as long as i can get my 10GB a day my neighbors can use their 1mbit pipes for all the youtube and skype they want.

though im not sure how 100kbit upload is going to treat them.

Mirddes
20-01-2014, 12:01 AM
everything i asked for was possible.

i probably wont even need to run a cable thanks to wds.

from the vantage point of my laundry window i can see the windows of several other houses... all could potentially become connected... speed degradation be damned...