PDA

View Full Version : I wanna learn how to play chess!

09-12-2001, 06:26 PM
Does anyone know of any downloads / programmes that will teach me how to play chess?

09-12-2001, 08:01 PM
I don't know of any downloads that would be of any real assistance. Chess is too complicated for you to find a simple answer. I started at the age of 6 and at about 10 I found a book called 'Easy Guide To Chess' written by a man called Baruk Wood. He held the World record for simutaneous blindfold chess. From memory it was 24 games - he won 23 and the 24th was a draw. Unfortunately I loaned it to someone who then disappeared with it. Try to get a copy - it is very easy to follow and will give you the best grounding you can possibly have. Good luck it is a most wonderful game.

09-12-2001, 09:58 PM
Nope, don't know of any, but if you sign up with Yahoo! then you can use their gaming feature which allows you to play 'n chat, so you could either watch a pair play, or just simply challenging a guy to play, and say, look, can you teach me some basics of chess, some might just reject you, but if you do a search, you will certainly find a few that will help you out. you could also buy a kids chess set from witcoulls , they have instruations in them of how to play, try to look for beginners when you are in yahoo, because they're the ones who know the basic but want to learn more, if you go for the expert, u pretty much going to get rejected at.

Hope this help,

Happy Chess Playing ;-)

09-12-2001, 10:35 PM
Check out a copy of NetGuide for November 2001, 'Best sites Top 50' pg 98. This lists 7+ Chess sites. Check out www.learn2.com/05/0581/0581.asp. If you want a full list post reply or go to www.netguide.co.nz and look up Nov issue.

10-12-2001, 11:38 AM
I have chess master 6000 that will teach you how to want it contact me play if you want a copy contact me kiwibeat@hotmail.com

10-12-2001, 08:37 PM
Learning the moves will take 5 minutes - the basic rules another 5 minutes. learning the theory and how to play the game ( which is what you asked) will take a lifetime. If you have the bug it will be a lifetime of bliss. There will always be more to learn. Check your local area for a chess club And have a talk with them. They are all nutters and will welcome you with open arms.

12-12-2001, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the replying guys.